Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NOR Flash Software Read Implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ku637

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi i have a parallel 16bit NOR flash device implemented in a project unfortunately it is getting obsolete.
I want to replace it with a similar device. I don't know much information about the code currently running on the board.

While comparing the nearest part i could find, i understand that the page size for each is
o JS28F128M29EWHF - 8 words/16 bytes (original part)
o MT28EW128ABA1HJS-0SIT - 16 words/32 bytes. (replacement part considered)

Both are 128Mb density devices, with uniform 128KB block size.

With 16 bytes page size i understand there must be total 1024K pages and in one block 8K pages should be there.
With 32 bytes page size i understand there must be total 512K pages and in one block 4K pages should be there.

So i feel if NOR Flash software design is having page reads, there can be a chance of problems , but if only byte read is there there should not be a problem.Typically NOR flash software is implemented in byte read or page read any idea ? if its used for initial boot?
Or any thoughts on this subject that might guide me will be helpful.

Thanks,
K

Page structure of parallel flash is only relevant for erase and write. Data is simply read word-wise.

Reactions: ku637

ku637

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hmm..So then what can be the use of page read cycle shown in datasheets of the device ,any idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back