Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Deleting components from libraries in Eagle....and in other PCB layout packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Is the following an advantage which only applies to the Eagle PCB layout package?
It relates to the ease of deleting unwanted components from a library.
I just finished a PCB project. As usual, I have a single library file which contains all the footprints, symbols and devices that I drew out and used for the PCB.
As with all PCBs that I do, I often end up with loads of unused components in the library….eg initially created components that I just don’t end up using, or that I make a re-named version of, with a more appropriate name. So in other words, the library ends up being full of “shrapnel” that I don’t want in there. However, with the Eagle PCB layout package, it’s very very easy to open up the library file as a text file and simply delete the unused/unwanted components. This leaves you with a tidy library which can be stored away with the PCB and schem files.
Without any training, in Eagle, its actually very easy to see how to delete any given symbol, footprint, or device.
Cleaning up a library file in this simple manner is something which is almost impossible in other PCB layout packages. Is this true?

If so then i will recomend Eagle to an employer partly on this basis.

I've had no problem deleting components with Orcad, Mentor, or Altium. But I think 'ease of deleting library components' is way down on the list of features that make a pcb package desirable.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I don't understand why you would delete something in your library that you took the time to create. If the device is properly labeled, then it fits nicely in any "neat" library. After all, you never know when the part that you created, but didn't use, will come in handy at a later date.

T

I'm with SLK001, my libraries don't get messy so don't need tidying up...

T

Hi,

If I understand right, then you create a "unique" library for each of your projects.
What´s the benefit of doing so?

The EAGLE .brd and .sch files already contain the library informations.
So if you change a symbol, package or device in a library .. you still have the option if you want to update the .brd or .sch or not.

In case you really want a unique library file....
then I recommend to look for a .ulp do do this automatically. Or you write an .ulp on your own.

Klaus

T

Oh no, here we go again. this guy is saying any other software is bad compared to his beloved Eagle.

How are your shares in Eagle today Treez? :)
It's simple to delete components, keep your library tidy in most packages - you just need to know how to do it.
Usually by selecting the component then choosing "delete" :)

So it seems that your always making the wrong decision on what component to use ?

T

Bad practices such as duffed up PCB layout practices in UK dont surprise me......UK needs to clear up this sort of thing, because things are getting worse..

The suicide of UK owned industry from 1952 to present day (2016)
In the early 1950s, the UK was an industrial giant. Today, it is an industrial pygmy. In 1952, UK owned companies made a quarter of the world’s manufacturing exports. Today (2016), the UK makes up less than 2 per cent of the world’s manufacturing exports, and even that percentage is mostly made up from foreign owned companies operating within the UK.
The UK now has a National Debt of 1.7 trillion pounds, and has been spending much more than it earns for every year over the 33 years up to 2016, and its trade deficit is dramatically worsening. The supply of North Sea Oil on which UK has become reliant is about to run out. >50% of UK industry is foreign owned; >40% of UK vital services (electricity, gas, infrastructure etc) are foreign owned; >66% of the fuel for the UK economy is foreign owned. UK is not capable of building its own nuclear power stations but relies on China to do it whilst China is already busy building illegal islands just off the coasts of Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan and Phillipines. >90% of UK schoolchildren stop progressing in maths & science at the age of 16. The OECD recently declared that a quarter of UK’s adults have the maths skills of a 10 year old. The brunt of the UK’s Naval fleet is powered by Electric Motors & Drives designed and built by the French. In the UK in 2016, >70% of London’s ‘zone 1’ office space is foreign owned.
The UK’s downward slide is moving at an alarming pace....In 1952, the UK was an industrial powerhouse. In 1952, UK brought out the world’s first commercial airliner, and was a close second to the USA in the development of the computer. In 1956, UK was amongst the first to bring out a Nuclear power station. In the 1950’s, Britain invented nuclear power, led the world in its application and developed enough stations to sustain a sizeable home-grown industry with a strong skills base. In the 1950s, UK owned companies were the second-largest manufacturers of cars in the world (after the United States) and the world’s largest exporter of cars.
The UK’s Sir Frank Whittle invented the turbojet engine in the 1930’s. In 1940, the UK had developed a Cavity Magnetron a thousand times more powerful than anything in the USA. The Mini, as developed by the British Motor Corporation in the 1960’s was voted the 2nd most influential car of the 20th century.
However, the UK flogged most of Rolls Royce to the Germans, Jaguar Land Rover to India, Bentley to the Germans, Rover to the Germans, Triumph to the Germans, and now has virtually no car industry of its own (Morgan cars have BMW engines). The UK has 25.8 million cars on its roads, and each one represents lots of money flowing overseas, worsening the already disastrous UK trade deficit. The UK cannot blame the arrival of the Far East into the world economy for UK’s poor performance, because after all Germany is managing just fine. In 2014, Germany was the world’s biggest exporter by Capital value.
The UK privatised its rail network so as to bring the benefits of private ownership...but then the German government bought a huge chunk of it (Arriva trains)...so its back into state-ownership...but owned by the state of a foreign country. In December 2015, the UK derived 17% of its energy from wind power. In Oct 2016, there were 6594 wind turbines in the UK. None of these wind turbines is designed or manufactured in the UK. Virtually all of them are designed and manufactured by Siemens of Germany or other foreign companies.

The UK payed £4.4bn net to the EU in 2009/10, but this rose to £8.8bn in 2014/15....the EU actually took 12.8 billion from UK, but gave back £4bn to be spent in ways decided entirely by the EU. The UK recently flogged off Admiralty Arch (the glorious gateway to Buckingham Palace) and The Old War Office (on Whitehall) to Spain & India respectively, for conversion into Hotels/Flats. In 2002, the UK came up with the "Enterprise Act", freeing its government from the duty of intervention when its own UK owned industries of great value were about to be sold into Foreign ownership...subsequently, from 1997 to 2007, foreign ownership of the UK’s firms rose from a third to a half, and foreign ownership of its vital services (electricity, gas infrastructure etc) rose to 40 per cent. Other countries (eg USA, Germany, France, Spain etc etc) have legislation which stops them from selling off their country’s prized assets in the way that the UK does.
Foreign companies acquired £30billion worth of the UK's enterprises in 2009. In 2010, that rose to a value of £54.5 billion. In 2016, the UK flogged off the magnificent ARM company to the Japanese for £24.3 billion, this had been the jewel in the UK's crown, one of the greatest electronics companies in the world. The UK flogged Boots the Chemists to the Italians, and Boots stores remain in the UK, and then the UK found that under Italian ownership, the UK received just £9 million in Tax from Boots, rather than the £90 million per year that it received before flogging it off (due to Boots getting "brass plated" by the Italians to Zug in Switzerland)......The same story of reduced Tax revenue is prevalent with most of the UK's other multitudinous industrial sales to foreign companies. In 2016, the Chief Advisor to the Turkish Prime Minister indicated that all the UK now does is to “Produce Cadbury’s chocolates and Maltesers”. (But in fact, Cadbury’s actually was sold to the Kraft foods company of the USA in 2010). In 2012, Nikolas Sarkozy, Prime Minister of France, declared that “The United Kingdom has no industry any more”. England is the 5th (fifth) most densely populated country in the world.
Between 2002 and 2008 the UK suffered a 50% drop in the number of its own domiciled school leavers opting for Electronics/Electrical Engineering degrees. Each year much less than 500 of UK school leavers "enrol" for an electronics degree, the majority of these choose all software modules or transfer to the School of Computer Science at the end of year two. In UK it is virtually impossible for almost anyone to assert the exact number of UK_citizen school leavers that end up actually graduating with an electronics degree each year....As far as Electronics Hardware centred graduates are concerned, the number is thought to be under 100 per year. A paltry amount.
When foreign owned companies in UK are a success, the profits flow overseas, when they do less well, there are more likely to be job losses. R&D spending gets notably less when UK industries get sold overseas. Tax revenue to UK is dramatically less. The UK is poorly placed to pay off its huge National Debt, since it has shed the once UK owned Engineering industry so desperately needed to pay off its debt.
The UK National Debt of UK is 1.7 trillion pounds in 2016. However, this figure is often “watered down” by expressing it as “National Debt as a percentage of GDP”. This comes out as 90% for UK…hardly a cause for comfort in itself, but in any case, GDP has dubious meaning for a country like UK, where >50% of industry & services are foreign owned. This is partly because for instance, GDP does not take into account profits earned in a nation by overseas companies that are remitted back to foreign investors. This can overstate a country's actual economic output.
Like in no other country, Britain has sold off more than half of its companies to Foreign owners (stated by Alex Brummer in book “Britain for Sale”). Nearly two thirds of UK manufacturing businesses that employ over 500 are now owned by foreign companies claimed business minister Baroness Neville-Rolfe in 2016.

Holy s**t, dude. Get a grip.

T

I am just lamenting the fact that the UK is heading for the 3rd world. By the way, i realise that UK owes its existence to the USA, i am not against UK co's getting sold to the USA, but think we in UK should try and do at least something for ourselves. The above in #7 prooves that the UK is on the way to the third world. Our leaders have (for whatever reason) given up on UK and the British People.

No, it proves nothing.
Its some text that you could have made up, has no referencing and has nothing to do with deleting components.
I cant be ass'ed to read it all.

your deranged treez, have you considered a change of career?

P.S. your forgetting history, the US owes its existence to the UK, the mayflower and some explorers from here.

T

Heres the reference....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Britain-Sale-British-Companies-Foreign/dp/1847940765

Alex Brummer (born 25 May 1949) is an English economics commentator, working as a journalist, editor, and author. He has been the City Editor of the Daily Mail (London) since May 2000, where he writes a daily column on economics and finance. He was the Financial Editor of The Guardian between 1990 and 1999.

I cant be ass'ed to read it all.
Too right, Neither yourself, or most other UK citizens, or anyone in Westminster, gives a dam about it.

If I understand right, then you create a "unique" library for each of your projects. What´s the benefit of doing so?

Back to the original discussion, I agree with treez in the sense of which a self-contained project including their libraries, depending on whether the goal is to deliver it in a freelancing and non-corporate context, where the addition of components of out-of-standard dimensions is "acceptable" allows the customer to have more handling over what they are receiving without the need to make subsequent updates from schematic design.

T

Too right, Neither yourself, or most other UK citizens, or anyone in Westminster, gives a dam about it.

No, I wont read it because of the poor use of line breaks.
To me its a wall of text and hard to read, so I'm not doing so.

And who says this guy is right?

Please don't PM me similar garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back