Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate the effective bandwidth of EMIF between DSP and FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haier

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
DSP: TMS320C6713B
FPGA: Xilinx V7
interface: EMIF
Data Bus: 32-bit
Bus clock: 100MHz

Then how to calculate the effective bandwidth?
Could anyone tell me the method...

Uh, okay...

32*100xe6 = 3,200,000,000 bps

that is the raw transfer rate, you will have to subtract the protocol from that, which is dependent on whether or not you have a single cycle, burst, or a mix of transfer types on the bus.

You will have to calculate the percentage of a transfer that is actually the data.

E.g. if a transfer takes 10 clock cycles and you only transfer 1 32-bit word then you have only 1/10 the bandwidth used for transferring your data so your effective bandwidth on the bus is going to be 320,000,000 bps.

Thanks! I got a bit more clear now.
But I don't know what's the protocol to substract. It depends on actual design, right? Sychronous or Asychronous...
If there is the data timing diagram, it may be much easier to understand.
Would you please show a true design, and calculate the percentage of data? Really appreciate it...

- - - Updated - - -

Uh, okay...

32*100xe6 = 3,200,000,000 bps

that is the raw transfer rate, you will have to subtract the protocol from that, which is dependent on whether or not you have a single cycle, burst, or a mix of transfer types on the bus.

You will have to calculate the percentage of a transfer that is actually the data.

E.g. if a transfer takes 10 clock cycles and you only transfer 1 32-bit word then you have only 1/10 the bandwidth used for transferring your data so your effective bandwidth on the bus is going to be 320,000,000 bps.

But I don't know what's the protocol to substract. It depends on actual design, right? Sychronous or Asychronous...
any cycle that is not transferring data out of the entire cycle.

If there is the data timing diagram, it may be much easier to understand.
Learn to use google...https://www.google.com/search?q=emif+timing+diagram&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Would you please show a true design, and calculate the percentage of data? Really appreciate it...
No, can't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back