Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to convert vhdl behavioral test bench to synthesized test bench for validation

Status
Not open for further replies.

nainathakur1121

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have tested my DUT in simulation using VHDL test bench. The test bench has behavioral coding.
I want to use the same test bench for validation on FPGA. So the test bench needs to be synthesizable.

My query: Are there any other standard tools from vendors (like synopsys, cadence...) which can automatically
converts the behavioral test bench to synthesizable?

or Are there any scripts available to do so?

Thanks in advance!

Generally speaking why would someone want to write a test-bench that will go into implementation (ASIC/FPGA doesn't matter)? I would question that design in the first place.

I have tested my DUT in simulation using VHDL test bench. The test bench has behavioral coding.
I want to use the same test bench for validation on FPGA. So the test bench needs to be synthesizable.
You need to decide which part of your design is going to be synth and implemented on the FPGA/ASIC. That part of the design needs to be written using behavioral coding for synthesis. Anything other than that can remain in the test-bench.

Ok there are times when one desires to have a synthesizable test-bench (e.g.- a pattern-generator or something like that) that can feed data to the DUT. In such a situation I would package such a patter-generator inside the DUT itself. In such a case just write the behavioral RTL coding for that particular module that can be synthesized (e.g.- Don't use 'wait statements' and stuff like that).

My query: Are there any other standard tools from vendors (like synopsys, cadence...) which can automatically
converts the behavioral test bench to synthesizable?

or Are there any scripts available to do so?
In my knowledge, no.

Last edited:

The answer to this is yes and no.
For HDL testbenches, the answer is No, you cannot do this. The code will contain software like concepts that will not map to hardware.

But - some tools like simulink allow hardware in the loop testing, where you use the same code in both your simulink model and on the hardware.

The problem here is a question of drivers. When you test on hardware, you need to somehow get data into the board to pass through your design. In Simulink's case it builds your FPGA with additional ethernet or PCIe cores, and Matlab contains the drivers to transfer the stimulus from Simulink to the board.

Then you go all the way to ASIC emulation using many FPGAs - but you wont be using the same HDL tests - you will have specially designed tests.

Seeing these papers, I was expecting some scripts/tools should be available. But could not find it.
There is always a substantial time lag between what is done in research and what is is being done in the industry.

I think for the time being to get your TB to synthesize, write its RTL accordingly.

Those papers seem heavy on theory and light on any real content. Also, what code examples there are are very simplistic. It appears they would only support the very simplest of test benches that use absolute delays/wait statments. I guess it would utterly fail when you get into anything more complicated - like randomised delays etc. then when you talk about transaction driven testbenches - just forget about it.

Basically - these papers seem to focus on testbenches people read in text books. Anything done in industry is not covered.

Dear TrickyDicky, dpaul,

I really appreciate you went through papers and gave your feedback.
Even I acknowledge that it is difficult to cover all the possible testbench scenarios.
So I thought if some script or tool is available, I can try to modify it and mature it.

Conclusion:
It is not good idea to spend time to automation scripts.
I should manually design synthesize test bench , if i want to validate DUT on FPGA

Dear TrickyDicky, dpaul,

I really appreciate you went through papers and gave your feedback.
Even I acknowledge that it is difficult to cover all the possible testbench scenarios.
So I thought if some script or tool is available, I can try to modify it and mature it.

Conclusion:
It is not good idea to spend time to automation scripts.
I should manually design synthesize test bench , if i want to validate DUT on FPGA

Essentially, yes.

I have had good luck with NiDAQ products that have FPGAs embedded in them. I can take a synthesisable testbench, modify a few things, and start running it on the FPGA that is then connected to my circuit. I can control the whole operation using matlab too. It looks neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.