Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

when the "signal will update" in fpga

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandru4u4

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello every one...

I am working in xilinx ...artix 15t fpga . In this i need to know , in below two process what value will there in "addr" varible in first rising edge ....kindly reply any one ...both clk is same

initi...addr<=0;
-----Process-1------

rising edge of clk

temp<=ram(addr);

end process

-----Process-2------

rising edge of clk

addr<=addr+1;

end process

Hi,

Because the values are updated after the rising clock...
At the first rising clock addr=0, ...then after a little delay it is updated to 1
At the next rising clock addr=1

Klaus

thanks for reply ...my main doubt is ,In the process-1 rising edge after i will do some operation after that only i am using "addr " ..at the same time i will update the "addr" content in another process-2, so it will affect or not ....in detail below ..

initi...addr<=0;
-----Process-1------

rising edge of clk
a<=a+1;
b<=b+3;
c<=c+1;
d<=d+3;
temp<=ram(addr);

end process

-----Process-2------

rising edge of clk

addr<=addr+1;

end process

Hi,

process1 and proces2 are running at the same time.

--> read post#2, I think it is clearely answered.

Klaus

VHDL is not a programming language - it is meant to model hardware.
The way signals work in VHDL is that the are scheduled to update at some future point in time. if no time is specified (with an after clause) then it will be updated at the end of the current delta cycle. All processes trigged on the rising edge of the clock will process in 0 time in the same delta cycle, so nothing will have updated yet. All of your assignments, a,b,c,d and temp will be assigned at the end of the current delta.

Status
Not open for further replies.