Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Native VHDL negation function

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaiko

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Does VHDL have a native 2's complement negation function for signed vectors ?
I.E - a function that takes a signed vector, flips it and adds '1' to the LSB ?

I'm guessing the types for a and b should be signed from numeric_std?
I know that you might think of std_logic_signed, std_logic_arith, but no one should use them, instead, the standard.

-- Id: A.2
function "-" (ARG: SIGNED) return SIGNED;
-- Result subtype: SIGNED(ARG'LENGTH-1 downto 0).
-- Result: Returns the value of the unary minus operation on a
-- SIGNED vector ARG.

Last edited:

I'm guessing the types for a and b should be signed from numeric_std?

Yes - any standard signed type will work:
integer
real

And from VHDL 2008
sfixed
std_logic_vector (when using numeric_std_signed)
bit_vector (when using numeric_bit_signed)

Reactions: ads-ee

ads-ee

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Yes - any standard signed type will work:
integer
real
If my understanding is correct, real isn't synthesizable, and integer isn't really a good fit if you want to synthesize something with a fixed bit with that is less than or more than the definition of integer (usually 32-bits in most implementations) and will require extra conversions to make it the correct size. I suppose you can specify a range, but then I always have to mentally convert the range to number of bits in the vector. :-(

TrickyDicky said:
And from VHDL 2008
sfixed
std_logic_vector (when using numeric_std_signed)
bit_vector (when using numeric_bit_signed)
I sort of knew about sfixed, but the numeric_std_signed and _bit_signed seem to be addressing the non-IEEE standard package std_logic_signed? I find this very interesting. So is using these packages to allow the use of std_logic_vector (e.g. like a std_logic_vector slice) as part of a signed calculation? That would be convenient and would require less conversions.

I don't think real has an explicit definition in VHDL in terms of binary representation.

I'll also note that you can import only numeric_std_signed."-" or std_logic_signed."-" . This is advisable as using the entire package changes "=" . For std_logic_1164, comparing different widths for equality would generate an easy to find warning "result always false". For numeric_std_signed, they would each be treated as signed numbers and compared in that manner. "11" = "111".

That would be convenient and would require less conversions.
IMO, this is a big reason why std_logic_unsigned still exists. It makes VHDL more like Verilog, especially if you include conv_integer from std_logic_arith. (this is "to_integer" in numeric_std_unsigned). I still don't advocate using all of either due to the changes to "=", and because I feel there is value in using signed/unsigned type when there is ambiguity in the operation.

I'll also note that you can import only numeric_std_signed."-" or std_logic_signed."-" . This is advisable as using the entire package changes "=" . For std_logic_1164, comparing different widths for equality would generate an easy to find warning "result always false". For numeric_std_signed, they would each be treated as signed numbers and compared in that manner. "11" = "111".

I think you mean - IMO, you SHOULD only import numeric_std_signed or std_logic_signed. This is only an opinion, and I doubt anyone will really follow it - importing the whole package is just easier. Also, with a lack of decent VHDL 2008 until rather recently, you're unlikely to see any coding standards mention numeric_std_signed/unsigned at all - most will advocate using numeric_std.
std_logic_1164 does not define any "=" functions. "=" is declared implicitly for all types in the language. Otherwise you would get a conflict when you imported std_logic_unsigned or numeric_std_signed etc and you would have to chose which one to use explicitly (as you kind of alluded to).

@ads-ee : I wasnt really talking in terms of synthesis, I was just listing all standard types where the function "-" function is defined.

I think we agree, but am not sure. My opinion is that the smallest, easily understood subset of _signed/_unsigned/etc... be used in a design. This is "+" from either signed/unsigned, "-" from signed, and to_integer from unsigned or conv_integer from std_logic_arith (or if you hate the non-ieee of the package, "to_int" from your own package.)

"-" from _signed is to add the unary operator.

This gives convenience without redefining a useful property of "=", nor making ambiguous inequalities or multiplications seem like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.