Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to narrow down/change Horizontal Beam Width(HBW) of a Patch Antenna ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katya047

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My patch antenna design:

Frequency - 2.3 GHZ, ε - 2.64, h - 1.6mm

Horizontal Beam Width(HBW) - 82.3 degree
Vertical Beam Width (VBW) - 67 degree

Observations:

1. Increasing width leads to decrease in VBW.
2. No change in HBW with changing length instead it shifts the resonating frequency.

Now, I want to change my HBW from 82 to 65 degree. It will be a great help if you could tell me the possible ways through which HBW can be changed? I am stuck here from a long time.

Regards

Are you sure it is not another way around? For vertically polarized patch you can change horizontal beam width (the wider the patch the narrower the beamwidth) and can not change vertical beamwidth. To reduce further vertical bemwidth you need to make array of two patches - one on top of another.

Thanks AndreyG!!

I was looking at my patch in horizontal polarization. It simply solved my problem by rotating patch in 90 degrees. (It was a simple solution) My HBW becomes 67 degree and VBW will be reduced because of vertical array design.
Can you suggest some reading material for feeding mechanism for 8 vertically polarized patches in vertical array.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back