Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Data transfer in DDR4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sriki408

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Can anybody help me to understand how data transfer occurs in DDR4 between memory core and IO buffer(prefetch) and thereafter to external IO?
I am aware that DDR4 uses 8n prefetch architecture and Bank Groups internally. Ideally data rate at extranl IO sholud be 16x to internal. If we have 4 bank groups as shown in attachment how a READ or WRITE operation happens?

The attachment also has SDRAM, DDR, DDR2 & DDR3 prefetch scheme which is straight forward.
Let us assume 100MHz is internal bus clock frequency i.e. between core and IO buffer(MUX)

DDR-- internal 2n width bus & external IO has 200Mbps speed which needs 2 no. of half clock cycles externally
DDR2--internal 4n width bus & external IO has 400Mbps speed which needs 4 no. of half clock cycles externally
DDR3--internal 8n width bus & external IO has 800Mbps speed which needs 8 no. of half clock cycles externally
In the same way can anybody explain data transfer between core and IO buffer for DDR4?

In the same way how much data can be sent out from core for each internal clock cycle @100MHZ for DDR4? What is the external clock frequency and data rate

Thanks
Srikanth

Attachments

• ddr4_prefetch_attachment.pdf
    25.7 KB · Views: 58

Status
Not open for further replies.