Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommendations for university style development board for DSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinaspey

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking at the Altera DE0, DE1 and DE2 as well as the Xilinx/Digilent university ranges of boards to try out some DSP programming. I also want to be able to process FFT's.

The issue appears to be which FPGA will do full floating point, or fixed floating point. I am not
clear on the issues but my initial thoughts are to go for the Altera boards since Quartus is something I have dipped my toe in with previously.

However the Xilinx boards such as the Basys 3, Artix 7 from Digilent may be a better bet. So its
the Atera Terasic DE range or the Xilinx Digilent Artix 7 based boards.

Advice on this would be much appreciated.

Rob

Floating point will require a floating point IP core like an IEEE754 core. You may want to look at the IP catalog of both Altera/Xilinx to determine if either of them have a free core or if you need to pay for one.

Usually hardware designs will use fixed point as it uses a lot less resources than a floating point core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back