Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to know while loop number of iteration ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojo26

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hey there ,
so in my code i need to know how many times a while loop was excuted (i don't know the number of iteration in advance and i should know it in a division algorithm )
how to know the value of I outside the process in the following example ?
PHP:
  process (r,b)
    variable I :integer :=0 ;
    begin

WHILE (x > b) LOOP 
 x <= r+b ;
I:=I+1 ;

END LOOP ;
end process;

i'm a newbie please help me and excuse my english

Last edited:

3 comments after a casual glance.....
1. You are doing a comparison between x and b but have not included x in the sensitivity list.
2. Avoid using 'while' loop (if this piece is used for non-synth part of the design, then ok with while loop)
3. I am assuming 'I' is storing the no. of iterations. So declare it as signal and then use it accordingly if you want to use it in another process.

Last edited:
Reactions: jojo26

jojo26

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
3 comments after a casual glance.....
1. You are doing a comparison between x and b but have not included x in the sensitivity list.
2. Avoid using 'while' loop (if this piece is used for non-synth part of the design, then ok with while loop)
3. I am assuming 'I' is storing the no. of iterations. So declare it as signal and then use it accordingly if you want to use it in another process.

thanks a lot,i'm sorry for making such horrible mistakes,i need to synthesis this code,i'm going to do a number of repeated substraction until i reach a certain condition (for example a>b ..) so can you give me a suggestion in whish structure should i use to do that,knowing that i'm dealing with signed numbers :) thanks a looot !

thanks a lot,i'm sorry for making such horrible mistakes,i need to synthesis this code,i'm going to do a number of repeated substraction until i reach a certain condition (for example a>b ..) so can you give me a suggestion in whish structure should i use to do that,knowing that i'm dealing with signed numbers :) thanks a looot !

Counters (along with terminal count compares) are typically used in hardware designs to determine how many times you do something.

Hi,

i'm going to do a number of repeated substraction until i reach a certain condition

define the (valid) ranges for "x", "r" and "b".

imagine "r" = 0.
then neither "x" nor "b" will be changed in your loop.
--> the loop will be infinite.

Klaus

Reactions: jojo26

jojo26

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The code can't be synthesized anyway due to unconstraint iteration count.

I presume it's based on the popular misunderstanding that an iteration loop defines a sequence in time. But it's only sequentially executed in simulation. In synthesis it instantiates parallel logic. Because the iteration count can't be determined at compile time, it's dropping a synthesis error.

In cases where you actually want to generate parallel logic by an iteration construct, the compiler must know how many instances. A for next loop will tell this by its fixed range.

As ads-ee explained, a sequential divider will use a loop counter and a clock. Under circumstances you can define a parallel divider by an iteration construct. But it would be better generated in a hierarchical structural description.

can you recommand any book or tutorials that can help me understand how a design work on hardware ? when it can be synthesizable and when not and why ? i feel like it's hard to write VHDL with my basic electronics knowlege
i'm so grateful,thanks for your answers
regards jojo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back