Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA development board suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

arve9066

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to purchase a Dev board for learning FPGA coding and development. Any suggestions on what is a good purchase in terms of ease of use of IDE, user/support base and capability. I intend to do some real time signal processing including FFT, moment generation etc..

What is your budget to spend? Are you an enrolled university student (some companies provide academic discounts to verified students, other do not)
What country are you in (some units may be subject to export restrictions)?
Are you planning to do any softcore processors, run some sort of embedded operating system, or just need a basic FPGA with enough memory for fixed point FFT?
Do you need any high quality audio interfaces, or anything else you can specify to help narrow down recommendations?

I am an enrolled student in a US university. I am currently working with a dev board but there is not much user base/help community for that one. My primary requirement is high rate data acquisition which is to the tune of 300MB/s and performing FFT and statistical calculations and output only the results effectively reducing data output to manageable levels.

You neglected to state a budget for the board...
I'm sure the $4995 VC709 Connectivity Kit would be perfect for what you want to do, but I'm also pretty certain you're budget doesn't allow for that (unless you've got some rich friends/relatives/sponsers/etc).

So basically for a start you need to state:
1. budget
2. minimum required interfaces
3. desirable interfaces, but not deal breakers like the ones in 2.
4. bias for Xilinx/Altera/something else

Of course I do not have that lavish a budget. I am currently working with the EFM02 from Cesys which has a Spartan-6 on it and costs like 600$. It has a USB 3.0 interface and pretty much has the functionalities I need as I am able to do partly what I need to do with it. My major issue with it is the lack of any user community. I am looking for something similar in capability and price but more tech support and user base. Also I am a beginner in the FPGA development. So I would like to purchase another cheaper dev board personally ( something like the MoJo Board) to learn the FPGA programming even if I do not necessarily use it for the actual project for which I can buy the hardware using project funding.

- - - Updated - - -

I have no preference to Altera/Xilinx although I have used the Xilinx ISE for programming before. So that is a very slight preference, but I am open to switch if that offers a smoother learning curve.

Let me first state I have nothing to do with this crowd funding development board, but I've been eyeing this board since last August and am considering ordering one myself for fun. The lower end version is sold out, but I was from the start looking at the higher end version as it has a dual core ARM Zynq part on it.

You might also want to look over Xilinx's website for the available boards and kits.
https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/see-all-bk-device-family.html
Open the Artix and Zynq device families for the boards that are more cost effective for personal purchase and learning as opposed to project supported purchases. There are quite a few that are under $300. I'd stay away from the Spartan as that requires you use ISE, Vivado is what Xilinx is going with for all future parts, including any new Spartan parts (though it seems that family is going away in favor of the Artix).

Thank you for this information. I will look at these options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back