Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

current sense (0-500mA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakthivelr

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Friends,

I want to measure the current range (0-500mA). Input is 6.3VDC.
please suggest the suitable chip to measure the current. Which can be sensed by the 10-bit ADC . Our ADC's will detect 3mV variation difference. so we require 3mV variation each mA current.

Thanks
Sakthivel R

Attachments

• Current sense.PNG
    Current sense.PNG
    27.8 KB · Views: 69

Hi,

use a "high side current sense amplifier"
There are many different types from many different manufacturers.
Read through some datasheets and application notes.

Klaus

This question has come up many times in the past.

I would suggest that you go to Linear Tech's webpage and download their "current sensing" app note in .PDF format.

The note has literally several hundreds circuits, and one of them should fit your application and budget.

Your proposed schematic show a 0.1 ohm resistor. Assuming this is the shunt you want to use I think you have a major discrepancy here. 3mV/ma = 3V/A = 3 ohms. You are far from 0.1ohm. If you put 500mA into a 0.1ohm resistor you will end-up with only 0.05Volt. That is 50mV, not a lot for accurate reading. At 10bits this is only 50 micro-volts per bit. You are not leaving much room for accuracy. Although feasible with an ADC, reading 50mV may require a bit more expensive chip. Some clarifications required here, I think.

Please tell us what your application goal is (education, build a lab instrument, repair an expensive apparatus)
Can you manage with a simple analog meter ? They work great at 50mV

Status
Not open for further replies.