Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 2.3 GHz lna design parameter vs netlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesuschrist

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
2.3 GHz lna design sparameter vs netlist

Hi. I am trying to design an LNA at 2.3 ghz with infineon's BFP 740 ultra low noise transistors.
On their page there is an axamle at the same frequency. When i use sparamets i get 0.18 db NF
but when i use netlist with the same matching circuit I get nothing so i changed the bias and now I am getting 0.7 db NF at best. So which one is wiser to use netlist or sparameters ?

Re: 2.3 GHz lna design sparameter vs netlist

Describe your situations correctly.

When i use sparamets i get 0.18 db NF
but when i use netlist with the same matching circuit I get nothing so i changed the bias and now I am getting 0.7 db NF at best So which one is wiser to use netlist or sparameters ?
What do you mean by netlist ?

Do you mean netlist is a S-parameter simulation based on Gummel-Poon-Model ?

Is NF=0.18dB NFmin ?
On the hand, NF=0.7dB is not.

Describe your situations correctly.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:

The situation is this. In infineon website for bfp 740 https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/pro...ype=db3a3044243b532e012501620a877ce0#ispnTab7
you can download SimModel with symbol and footprint AWR MWO v1.0.zip file. Inside that file there is an example at 2.3 GHz. The example uses both S parameters and Netlist(mdl file) of bfp740. When you look at the design with Sparameter data set, It shows 0.1639 db NF. They have the same simulation with mdl file of bfp740 but,Unfortunately their design with mdl file of transistor is not correctly simulated. But when i used the same configuration they have on the example I get around 0.68 dB noise. at 2.3 Ghz which is close to their datasheets. SO i tought their Sparameter files might be wrong since datasheet shows 0.55 dB noise at 1.8 GHz at best.

you can download SimModel with symbol and footprint AWR MWO v1.0.zip file.
I don't have AWR MWO.
However I can see contents of "BFP740H6327XTSA1/Simulation Data".

Which one do you use in your simulation
(1) BFP740.net (SPICE Netlist using Gummel-Poon-Model)
(2) bfp740_spar.mdf (Small Signal Table Model written as Keysight EEsof MDIF Format)

We don't call (2) "Netlist".

I think you can not understand simulation model, NF and NFmin at all.

What file do you mean by "S-Parameter" ?

Last edited:

The situation is this. In infineon website for bfp 740 https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/pro...ype=db3a3044243b532e012501620a877ce0#ispnTab7
you can download SimModel with symbol and footprint AWR MWO v1.0.zip file. Inside that file there is an example at 2.3 GHz. The example uses both S parameters and Netlist(mdl file) of bfp740. When you look at the design with Sparameter data set, It shows 0.1639 db NF. They have the same simulation with mdl file of bfp740 but,Unfortunately their design with mdl file of transistor is not correctly simulated. But when i used the same configuration they have on the example I get around 0.68 dB noise. at 2.3 Ghz which is close to their datasheets. SO i tought their Sparameter files might be wrong since datasheet shows 0.55 dB noise at 1.8 GHz at best.
I couldn't see 0.1639 dB NF in s-parameters data-set but anyway..
NF is NFmin what you see in the s-parameters data-set so that the transistor is matched (input) to Zopt to get the NFmin.You should do the same thing ( Zopt should have been supplied) to obtain the similar result.

This one is the simulation based on mdf format by using bfp740_spar.mdf done by infineon https://imgur.com/HFrMxef. This one is the one that I did by using BFP740.net (SPICE Netlist using Gummel-Poon-Model) https://imgur.com/vLuJM2T . Both are NF not NFmin.

HFrMxef.png

vLuJM2T.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Last edited:

This one is the simulation based on mdf format by using bfp740_spar.mdf done by infineon https://imgur.com/HFrMxef. This one is the one that I did by using BFP740.net (SPICE Netlist using Gummel-Poon-Model) https://imgur.com/vLuJM2T . Both are NF not NFmin.

View attachment 135993

View attachment 135994

That's exactly what I'm saying.The simulator takes NFmin value while it is simulating the transistor ( because it's been supplied in s-parameters data-set).But when you do this simulation with GP model even the bias conditions are exactly same, the NF will not be NFmin, instead NF will be "50 terminated Noise Figure".That's the difference.

The simulator takes NFmin value while it is simulating the transistor ( because it's been supplied in s-parameters data-set).
I don't think so.

Even in simulation using (2) "bfp740_spar.mdf", I think impedance of ports are 50ohm.

Both are NF not NFmin.

Last edited:

Noise Fİgure Comparison.png Here is the Noise Figure simulations of all 3 circuits. I have s parameter simulation, GP model simulation with same circuit as S parameter(Just a DC voltage source of 3.3V added for Bias didn't add anything to it, had the bias network in Spar circuit.) And lastly my own derivation of the same circuit with rogers 5880 and 2V DC source for lower Collector current and better Noise figure.

Last edited:

I have s parameter simulation, GP model simulation with same circuit as S parameter(Just a DC voltage source of 3.3V added for Bias didn't add anything to it, had the bias network in Spar circuit.)
Simulation using (2) does not require bias at all.
However simlation using (1) require bias.
How do you feed bias for base and collector in Simulation using Gummel-Poon-Model ?

What values do you set Vce and Ic ?

I suspect you don't match same bias points between (1) and (2).

And Title of this thread should be changed to "2.3 GHz lna design, Small-Signal-Model v.s. Large-Signal-Model".

https://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1212376329

Last edited:

GP_model.pngmy_lna_bias.pngspar_model.png as you can see Spar model and GP model has the same bias which is Vc=1V Ic=3mA. But results are different from each other.

I don't think so.

So, how does a s-parameter simulation uses NF information ?? Is there any additional Noise Figure data in s-parameters data-set ? No.
It computes NF by using existing measured NF data in order to extract the actual NF data, right ?
If we know NFmin,Rn,Ys we can find F ( Microwave and RF Engineering-Roberto Sorrentino,Giovanni Bianchi.Page 429,Eq-11.32)

It computes NF by using existing measured NF data in order to extract the actual NF data, right ?
Right.

If we know NFmin,Rn,Ys we can find F
You can not understand noise parameters in S-parameter and NF calculation by using them at all.

NF is calculated by {s11, s12, s21, s22} and {NFmin, Rn, Gamma_opt}.
Maybe your Ys is equivalent to Gamma_opt.

So if Zsource is not Zopt, NF is not NFmin.

Touchstone format is a subset of MDIF.
{s11, s12, s21, s22} and {NFmin, Rn, Gamma_opt} are listed in MDIF file.
**broken link removed**

as you can see Spar model and GP model has the same bias which is Vc=1V Ic=3mA.
I don't think they are same.

Former is (Vce, Ic)=(1.0V, 3.0mA)
Latter is (Vce, Ic)=(1.05V, 3.79mA)

Current discrepancy is fairly large.

Compare NF with adjusting latter (Vce, Ic) as (1.0V, 3.0mA).

However I believe Small-Signal-Model not Large-Signal-Model since former is a raw data without approximation due to fitting.

Last edited:

Right.

You can not understand noise parameters in S-parameter and NF calculation by using them at all.
Yeah.. Only you understand ALL, we know nothing..
NF is calculated by {s11, s12, s21, s22} and {NFmin, Rn, Gamma_opt}.
Maybe your Ys is equivalent to Gamma_opt.

So if Zsource is not Zopt, NF is not NFmin.

Touchstone format is a subset of MDIF.
{s11, s12, s21, s22} and {NFmin, Rn, Gamma_opt} are listed in MDIF file.
**broken link removed**
Can you show us Highness where the s-parameters are here ??

NF.PNG

Yeah.. Only you understand ALL, we know nothing..
You often append wrong things elsewhere.

Can you show us Highness where the s-parameters are here ??
Sorry, {s11,..,s22} are not used.

{s11,..,s22} are used in NF calculation, if s-parameters are cascaded like two stage amplifier.

NF is NFmin what you see in the s-parameters data-set so that the transistor is matched (input) to Zopt to get the NFmin.
However, if Zsource is not Zopt, NF is not NFmin.
So all NF in this thread are not NFmin.

Last edited:

This message board surely wishes to attract and keep our expert daily regular posters, and that is the aim of forum rules:

Remain respectful of other users, moderators and administrators at all times
All posts should be professional and courteous. You have every right to disagree with your fellow community members and explain your perspective, however, you are not free to attack, degrade, insult, or otherwise belittle them or the quality of this community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back