Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How much it costs to establish a product line for this board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezaeee

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
If I want to build this board :( https://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/images/d/d8/NanoPi-M1-1603-Schematic.pdf ) in large number, I like to know:
1-What should be the minimum level(number) of production?
2-How much it costs to buy the PCB product line for that purpose(Multi layer board) and assemble it(Peak and Place machines)?
3-How many square meters space do I need at least?
4- May you list what machines do I need?

I know it's very big question but hope you help me as much as you can!
Very thank you in advanced!

well if you decided to build a PCB factory that's definitely NOT how you do it... go to smtnet.com there you may get some info to help you start

You don't!!

You don't buy a line to make a board like this, not if it's your only product - you get an established manufacturing company to make it, the costs are far lower and when the product run is done - you are not stuck with the building and equipment.
There are plenty in China that will do it for you.

i assumed he knows that already,,, hope he did not!

You don't!!

You don't buy a line to make a board like this, not if it's your only product - you get an established manufacturing company to make it, the costs are far lower and when the product run is done - you are not stuck with the building and equipment.
There are plenty in China that will do it for you.

What if I combine the production of this board with some other thing like USB flash memory?

What if I combine the production of this board with some other thing like USB flash memory?

just don't. unless you are a big time entrepreneur, buying an assembly line makes zero sense. this is a heavy investment. why would you invest so much in a market that you know so little about? I mean, you don't even know what equipment is necessary!

If you are trying to set up a production line, you will have to cater to other's job; you do not set up a production facility to make a small item.

There are the points to remember:

1. How many boards (square mts) you will process per day;

2. How many people you want to hire (include the people who will accept jobs and deliver processed boards)?

3. Are you ok will small orders?

4. Who will finance the original investment?

5. Are you going for a local setup or a global service?

6. Consider taxes, profits and competitiveness (consider china as a reference standard).

7. Is there a local shortage of such services?

just don't. unless you are a big time entrepreneur, buying an assembly line makes zero sense. this is a heavy investment. why would you invest so much in a market that you know so little about? I mean, you don't even know what equipment is necessary!

Because we make some robots that they use this kind of boards. Also we want to make other gadgets those will use our designed boards, and we must ordering our designs to PCB manufactures to build!

I thought maybe it's better to establish a PCB manufacturing line. also we can taking orders from outside for when our lines are free!

You need to calculate (i) how much it will cost to make one yourself and (ii) how much it will cost you to get it made from outside.

These are chemical processes and you also need to consider disposal and environmental effects. You will not get the economy of scale but if you need is around 10-100 boards per day, perhaps you can get semiautomatic systems (but I do not know much about them anyway).

I'm with a PCB factory based in China. I would strongly recommend you not to set up PCB manufacturing and assembly line whether if you're after small Qty or large volume circuit boards production.

You guys are specialized in electronics design and engineering, I guess you have no idea on circuit boards equipments cost, equipments maintain fee, material fee, production cost (including quality control, disposal and environment effects), human power expense, factory space expense, etc. The total cost is heavy and will be way out of your expectation.

You mentioned to take outside PCB orders when your lines are free. Well, this is possible for the PCB manufacturing line, but a BIG NO for the Assembly line. If you cannot perfectly combine circuit assembly orders end to end in the Assembly line, you have to restart the whole assembly line each time new order comes. The production cost will be super high (Even higher than your profit from outside orders. And your in-house PCB Assembly cost will be much much higher then order assembly service directly from the professional PCB House), your earnings and spending are very likely to be out of whack. Not to meniton the fiercely competitive PCB production markets, with som many experienced PCB Manufacturers & Assemblers of successful working records and increasing number of new PCB factories, it's extremely difficult for you to get business especially when you do not have cost benifits.

As for your case, I would recommend you find a long-term custom PCB production Partner. You can do some research on PCB manufacturers based on your project's requirements, budget, schedule, etc. and place a test order (small Qty of circuit boards) to see whether if this manufacturer can perfectly meet your expectation. Once you're fully aware of its manufacturing capabilities, reliabilities, you can rest assurred to submit your future pcb orders to them.

In case you changed your mind and want to find PCB production partner, we're a China-based custom PCB manufatcuring and assembly services provider for worldwide companies of all sizes with 10+ years' experience. We're committed on the quality & performance of each board we make. Feel free to check and get free quotation.

Last edited by a moderator:
See, even the experts in this are telling you that its not a good idea.
You would be better using a PCB production partner for the first year or two until you have confirmed production requirements and then think about bringing things in house.
You can then compare the costs of using a PCB production partner against the cost of in house - at this point you will probably find that it's not worth it.

You would be better using a PCB production partner for the first year or two until you have confirmed production requirements and then think about bringing things in house...

This is the most sensible advice, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back