Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about audio feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paranoid666

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys!

Recently I have seen an experiment about audio feedback on vimeo. Here is the link
https://vimeo.com/190094693

After seeing this video, I have some question:
- Which factors the audio feedback depended on? I can see somethings like: distance and angle between microphone and speaker, their frequency respond...
- Can we create audio feedback with calculated frequency? If yes, how do we calculate it, is there any specific method to do this?
- About the video, the feedback sound seemed to be random, but we still can hear the difference pitches. I wonder how the maker control this, only by moving the speaker around?

Do you have any suggestion? Thanks for reading.

Theoretically, you SHOULD be able to calculate what your fedback signal will sound like, but there are, imo, just too many variables to really do it. Phase, reflections, harmonics, time and frequency response of each element in the system etc., etc., just make this a formidable task. But, if you listen to Jimi Hendrix ( among other, lesser, players) you'll hear that he has quite good control of what he's producing. But that is where Art begins and Technology moves aside.

Sometimes you change the frequency by moving the mic or speakerbox, but there are times the frequency derives from room dimensions, width, length, height.
The feedback might create one standing wave across the room, or multiple standing waves, etc.
Often we can tell there are two or more frequencies trying to emerge, although a single frequency usually dominates. We cannot always predict what frequency it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.