Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Synthesizable Verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKSHAYNIMBAL

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone tell me how do is it feasible to do complex matrix operations in verilog which has to be synthesized? Or its better using DSP processor?

How do i handle real values in verilog which has to be synthesized?

Regards,
Akshay

Thank You

verilog data types are essentially arrays of bits. you have to pack the info you want in a way to has a meaning, typically using mantissa and exponent. there are lots of floating point libraries available.

Thank youThisIsNotSam.
Can you name few libraries to do so?? I'm using Xilinx Vertex 5 FPGA for the same.
It would be a great help if you direct me to something that has some very good resources for the same.

I even tried using Vivado HLS but still the verilog form of C gives an array of bits. But i wanted an array of numbers like [7:0]arr[0:3][0:3].

Thank you.

DSP vs FPGA for floating point is a valid case study, as some DSP's have hard IP FPU's and MMU support for DSP based applications.

For and FPGA using Verilog, you would be specifying the FPU's yourself (using coregen or other ip-cores normally) as well as any memory features (more ip-cores) and then writing a few FSM's to move data and control these FPU's.

T
I even tried using Vivado HLS but still the verilog form of C gives an array of bits. But i wanted an array of numbers like [7:0]arr[0:3][0:3].

Thank you.

There are no memories in the FPGA that have two indicies: arr[0:3][0:3], if you want to emulate a 2D array of bits then you have to index a regular memory bram_arr[0:15] like so:
Generic case:
bram_arr[4*y+x]

Your specific case of 4x4 (assuming x and y are declared as 2-bits):
bram_arr[{x,y}]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back