Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

insertion loss and gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prateek3790

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is the difference between insertion loss and gain. i mean if they are just inversely proportional to each other then why define two different quantity.

A device, circuit, stage, inserted in a signal path can have gain, expressed like a positive number or loss expressed as a negative number.

An amplification stage inserted in a signal path with the gain of -say 4- will be an insertion gain, not an insertion loss.
An attenuator inserted in a signal path with attenuation of -say 10- will be an insertion loss of 10 with result of a tenth of the signal; or gain of minus 10.

Well it's like we have a income and expenses.
It's just makes sense to have the two instead of seeing expenses like "negative income".
Expenses have a negative sign built in just like loss has.
That way we can say the feed-line has a loss of 12dB instead of saying it has a negative gain of 12dB, it's just easier.
Use it if you like, it's up to you and it helps when you communicate with others. I guess other will think you are a bit nutty if you say the attenuator has a negative gain of 40dB, even if it is correct :)

a passive device is often talked about as having an insertion loss. Like the insertion loss of my filter is 3 dB. So the output power is half of the input power.

Active devices are often discussed as having a gain. Like my amplifier has 10 dB of gain. or the output power is 10 times the input power.

it is just a way of not getting confused with a +/- sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back