Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there any SMA Connector Model available ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SMA connector is specified with typical VSWR of 1.03 at 1 GHZ, I guess it's even better with right semi rigid cable. Residual derivations from ideal connector behavior are probably rather arbitrary or related to wear and thus not reproducible. I don't expect an useful equivalent circuit describing it.

I mean simulation models such as s-parameter or equivalent circuit.

The core model would a short piece of 50 ohm line, the parasitics should be very small.

The transition from connector to PCB can introduce parasitics if not done properly, I would expect some series inductance there.

I keep my comment in post #4.

The connector is designed to achieve (1 + residual error) VSWR over the specified frequency range. The residual error is caused by production tolerances and deviations from ideal mounting conditions, it's not systematic in a way that it would be useful to model it.

It makes more sense to determine the residual error in an empirical design, e.g. by TDR measurements, and compensate it.

I think parametrized or scalable models are possible.

Attachments

• 170521-185044.png
    170521-185044.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 257
  • 170521-190258.png
    170521-190258.png
    53 KB · Views: 202

I fear, I don't grasp the physical meaning of the three T-connected transmission lines in the "equivalent circuit model".

I think parametrized or scalable models are possible.

The second model is generic (could even represent a short line segment) and as VvM wrote, this is likely not for the connector but for the assembly with mounting issues (gap in ground path-> series inductance, trace width at connection -> shunt cap).

The first model looks wrong for proper SMA connectors that are properly mounted.
If this post refers to your 90° SMA with layout from https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?t=367538&p=1574182&viewfull=1#post1574182

90° SMA are not so great. Your trouble is from mostly layout (via pad capacitance, series inductance from 90° bend). Also, the center pin for through-hole SMA can acts like an open ended line if it is too long (your first schematic).

Model of proper 0° SMA conncetor + proper layout: short segment of 50 Ohm line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back