Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] AC motor driving logic with panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis29

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to run a 2HP AC (3 phase) 440V squirrel cage induction motor from Solar panel (600V, 100Watts panel) through a motor drive.
I am using 3 Phase IGBT bridge to produce 3 phase output. For starting we are using V/F control. But as ambient light reduces Imp reduces since the load is constant it makes the input voltage to fall drastically and whole system coming to stop.

Unless you are using a premium efficiency motor.....The no-load losses at rated speed for that motor would easily be in the 400 to 600 watt range.

Yes motor is1.5KW.
My doubt is as the when panel power output reduces(when light conditions change) is it possible to run the motor at reduced power??

Hi,

is it possible to run the motor at reduced power??
Theoretically yes. But how does your IGBT control system achieve this?

Klaus

By reducing adjusting duty cycle and freqency ?? I am not that familiar with drives

An industry standard VFD allows to adjust the motor voltage independent of the frequency, in so far you can reduce the motor power. Because friction losses of an induction motor are pretty low, it's possible to run the motor at reduced power. But that's only possible if the load torque is respectively low. Is it so?

load can be lowered.
Let me make clear one scenario.
I have done one DC motor drive (BUCK) with solar panel input. In that if the panel power is not sufficient to run motor at full power we will run the motor in lower speed by reducing duty cycle of IGBT switching then output voltage decreases respectively output and input current reduces thus tracking the MPP of panel. Like wise is there any method in AC motor drive??

Hi,

--> reducing frequency as well as voltage.

Klaus

It is going to use for agricultural purpose. So if less input>>less output More input>>more output.

- - - Updated - - -

there are lot of control methods out there Vector control,v/f,... so which one i have to use??

In case of doubt V/f as already suggested.

It is going to use for agricultural purpose
You still didn't tell anything about the load characteristic. If the load involves e.g. a large breakaway torque, other control methods may be necessary.

Load is compressor based borewell pump used for water pumping.

Borewell pump is regularly a centrifugal pump with small starting torque. But it has zero output unless the speed is sufficient for the discharge head. A storage battery would allow at least intermittent pump operation in this situation.

I researched well pumps when I put together my backup power system (in 1999). The type which is best suited for a PV installation is positive displacement, DC powered. I purchased one rated 24VDC at 2A. In my tests it ran satisfactorily (although slower) at lesser voltage and Amperes. Specs state it can pull water up from max depth 230 feet. The brand was Solarjack.

Our house had a spinning vanes type which works on AC house voltage and draws a lot of current. In the event of longterm blackout I intended to pull the power-wasting pump out of the well, and lower the DC pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.