Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

quadcopter not working ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul12

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, i have small quadcopter...when i try to power it onn from the power button ...i don;t get any main light on the body...it just worked once or twice...i just pulled back the transmitter stick both back...the fan spinned twice...but later it stopped completly ? no lights nor fan movements...

when i plug via usb cable into desktop with the battery and without battery....only i get red light...?

can any one please provide any tips...

Thanks
Paul

Hi,

Can you say the make and model of the quadcopter, thanks? - Maybe another member will be able to help you troubleshoot the cause(s) of the malfunction.

Is there an instruction manual for it? - Usually the fault-finding section is towards the end, and it may explain what the lack of lights and the red light signify.

Check battery pack voltage. Is it charged sufficiently?

when i plug via usb cable into desktop

It is not likely the craft receives sufficient usb power so it can fly. Does it have any diagnostic routine to tell you something is wrong?

its hubsan x4 107c+, the battery seems fine and charged .. the power is not going from the battery to the x4.? .normally it lits with blue and red...

manual https://www.greathobbies.com/manuals/h/hub/hubh107cplus_hubsan_x4_h107cp.pdf

any other info ..tips...please let me know...

Hi,

Can you say the make and model of the quadcopter, thanks? - Maybe another member will be able to help you troubleshoot the cause(s) of the malfunction.

Is there an instruction manual for it? - Usually the fault-finding section is towards the end, and it may explain what the lack of lights and the red light signify.

Did you look closely at all propellers, to check that no guard is bent so it blocks a prop from spinning freely?

yes...but first it needs to be power onn ...no lights are coming from the quad...

thanks

Hi,

The manual says something about "Before turning on the transmitter, check that the throttle stick is pulled completely backwards (down position)" (page 4) - do you do that? Maybe it moves a little during the 2 seconds and doesn't configure correctly? It also says to turn on transmitter and then the X4, I assume you do that as well.

Troubleshooting tip 1 (page 20) - Maybe you need to put the transmitter and X4 close together so they pair correctly? Perhaps you've already tried that.

Do you turn on the transmitter first, and then press the power button on the X4?

Have you done a visual inspection and checked that all the connections are still correct (no loose connectors, etc.)?

Are the transmitter AAA batteries okay, as you said the X4 battery is fine?

just re-checked it again...when i loosen the battery in the body..back or forth some time it lits up though ...

but still not pefect working ...

any tips..

thanks

Hi,

The manual says something about "Before turning on the transmitter, check that the throttle stick is pulled completely backwards (down position)" (page 4) - do you do that? Maybe it moves a little during the 2 seconds and doesn't configure correctly? It also says to turn on transmitter and then the X4, I assume you do that as well.

Troubleshooting tip 1 (page 20) - Maybe you need to put the transmitter and X4 close together so they pair correctly? Perhaps you've already tried that.

Do you turn on the transmitter first, and then press the power button on the X4?

Have you done a visual inspection and checked that all the connections are still correct (no loose connectors, etc.)?

Are the transmitter AAA batteries okay, as you said the X4 battery is fine?

just re-checked it again...when i loosen the battery in the body..back or forth some time it lits up though ...

You need to make sure ample current is flowing, with no breaks or voltage droops.
Perhaps battery contact is intermittent? This is usually solved by careful cleaning of contacts, examining for corrosion, etc...

Or a startup routine executes, then fails immediately in the time it takes the led to flash. This is not easy to diagnose or solve.

when i loosen the battery in the body..back or forth some time it lits up though ...

I can't see from the black and white photos in the manual what the battery pack connects to, and how that looks on the pcb, anyway. If you put the X4 together, I'm sure that with a little care you can take it apart if necessary...

Similar to Brad's most recent comment, I don't want to waste your time if the issue is a start-up routine glitch, but if moving the battery back and forth makes one of the LEDs light up, that really could be a bad/loose connection or solder point (e.g. on the X4 board where the battery wires/terminals are connected); or a broken wire, that wiggling it makes both halves make contact momentarily.

If you can open the X4 and, after disconnecting the battery, visually inspect the battery connections to the pcb/board, look for loose solder points, and maybe gently tug the battery pack wires a little to see if something in the battery pack itself may have come loose, perhaps the pcb battery connector is wobbly; I don't think it's a waste of time to do so, at least it will eliminate one or two possibilities.

Thanks for your reply. What is the minimum least volts these type of quad needs to make them fly best....?

You need to make sure ample current is flowing, with no breaks or voltage droops.
Perhaps battery contact is intermittent? This is usually solved by careful cleaning of contacts, examining for corrosion, etc...

Or a startup routine executes, then fails immediately in the time it takes the led to flash. This is not easy to diagnose or solve.

Thanks for your reply. What is the minimum least volts these type of quad needs to make them fly best....?

The included battery should be adequate to make your craft fly. However you need to make certain that it is charged sufficiently. It is easy to be careless with rechargeable batteries. Too much discharge or overcharge can reduce their useful life.

Then regarding Amperes, you need to make sure nothing impedes current flow. It is not necessarily easy to measure Amperes. I have a square of circuit board plated both sides, which I insert between a battery and contact. This allows me to connect my meter and read Amperes. However I can only do this if the battery compartment leaves room to squeeze in 1/16 inch thick board.

Can you examine the wires to your battery connectors? Are any strands broken? This is a common area for bending and wear to result in bad contacts.

Hi,

The 'copter comes with a 3.7V, 520mAh LiPo battery pack - clearly this is what the manufacturer has included because that is what the 'copter needs to fly. (And the transmitter requires AAA batteries, which will be 1.5V ones, I would think, and will have the battery housing moulded to make explicit how many are needed for it to operate, and which way round they have to be inserted).

any compatible battery for quad ? can 2.4 V battery work ?

Hi,

The 'copter comes with a 3.7V, 520mAh LiPo battery pack - clearly this is what the manufacturer has included because that is what the 'copter needs to fly. (And the transmitter requires AAA batteries, which will be 1.5V ones, I would think, and will have the battery housing moulded to make explicit how many are needed for it to operate, and which way round they have to be inserted).

Hi,

Without knowing the full pcb it is impossible to say. It is probable the 'copter has a 3.3V microcontroller, but maybe the pcb has a step-up converter from 3.7V to 5V for 5V components...

In principle, no, you obviously can't use a 2.4V battery instead of a 3.7V battery.

Any nice alternative battery that can fit in size and technically ?

Thanks

Hi,

Without knowing the full pcb it is impossible to say. It is probable the 'copter has a 3.3V microcontroller, but maybe the pcb has a step-up converter from 3.7V to 5V for 5V components...

In principle, no, you obviously can't use a 2.4V battery instead of a 3.7V battery.

Hi paul12,

I don't know, I'm not Google ;), nor do I know the battery dimensions.

Search online either with the battery specs, or using filters on electronics and/or battery retailers, or take it to an appropriate shop to show them what you need.

thanks...for the suggestion...though what is the max ouput battery volts quad can accept ? above 6V+ can harm it...? do they work upto 15V?...

Hi paul12,

I don't know, I'm not Google ;), nor do I know the battery dimensions.

Search online either with the battery specs, or using filters on electronics and/or battery retailers, or take it to an appropriate shop to show them what you need.

thanks...for the suggestion...though what is the max ouput battery volts quad can accept ?

One easy indicator is to look at capacitors on the circuit board. Examine their volt rating, and stay a few volts below that. But even that might ruin some other components. Therefore it's wise to use only the same type of battery that is included with the aircraft.

okay...fine...thanks !

One easy indicator is to look at capacitors on the circuit board. Examine their volt rating, and stay a few volts below that. But even that might ruin some other components. Therefore it's wise to use only the same type of battery that is included with the aircraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.