Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

KC705 FPGA Board LCD Screen control

Status
Not open for further replies.

macellan

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone

I have a KC705 FPGA board and trying to learn some basic stuff. I've checked on the int. for a starting point to write some words on the LCD screen but so far not succesfull. Can anyone suggest any useful document or a simple basic example about how to send the control bits, sending the characters etc.

ps. I don't want to use a picoblaze based method or anyother embedded microprocessor.

Thanks in advance

did you check the example designs from the manufacturer? some may use the LCD. Use this as a reference.

or else see if someone had been interfacing that LCD with a FPGA

Otherwise pick up the datasheet of your LCD and start coding...

- - - Updated - - -

the manufacturer of the LCD also has a forum where you can ask questions, post code, etc

hmm, i had a glance on the datasheet but did not find any information on how to communicate with it

- - - Updated - - -

xilinx has a build-in self test that appearently makes use of the LCD.

Google for it, check it out come back when you are stuck.

Last edited:

you mean BIST? I did it when I get the board first. But it is using some differetn software to test individual components in a seperate way.

If you talk about something different can you please provide a link?

Hi,

as far as I can see: the display is a standard display in 4 bit connection.
I assume there are hundreds of example codes in the internet.

And like LatticeSemiconductor I assume that the manufacturer of the board will have sample designs at their internet sites.

But you say "... learn some basic stuff". --> Start with controlling LEDs, reading inputs like pushbuttons, implementing counters and so on before you start with transmitting data to a LCD controller.

Klaus

yes, i ment the BIST. To run the BIST you have to load a bitfile to your FPGA, right?
That means there is most probably a LCD controller written in Verilog or VHDL that takes the control part. I expect your software to communicate with that controller, and the controller with the LCD...
Chances are very high that you have access to that code.

again, just hints you'll have to look on this for yourself
that BIST has A LOT of stuff that does not matter in your case - if you find yourself confused it'll be better to start from scratch.

do you know the manufacturer of your LCD? and the name of the part? you can find references to all components on your evaluation board on the user guide of your board
i found a bunch of useful links on google

- - - Updated - - -

sorry, seems like it uses the GPIO module to connect with the LCD. the driver is written in c code. I guess i pointed you in the wrong direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.