Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flyback Transformer Design (48V in, 12v out, how to layer turns, leakage inductance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElecDesigner

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm working on a high frequency flyback power supply. Specs approx:
1MHz sw freq
Vin 48V
Vout 12V
Power out 10-20W

My questions are regarding the transformer.

1. I have decided on a core, windings etc. I have a 2 layer primary and 2 layer secondary.
What would generally be the best way to layer this?
I was thinking 1 layer of primary first but would it be better to have.....
1. 1 layer pri, then 1 layer sec, then 1 layer pri, then the final sec. or
2. 2 secondary layers directly together sandwiched between the two single primary layers.

Is there a rule of thumb for leakage inductance of a well designed (& manufactured) flyback transformer - perhaps as a percentage of the main inductance?

re: Flyback Transformer Design (48V in, 12v out, how to layer turns, leakage inductance)

1. 1 layer pri, then 1 layer sec, then 1 layer pri, then the final sec. or
Leakage inductance will be reduce ¼ th of regular primary secondary winding but inter winding capacitance will be double. Wave form rigging will be very less

2. 2 secondary layers directly together sandwiched between the two single primary layers.
Leakage inductance will be reduce 1/2 rd of regular primary secondary winding and less inter winding capacitance . Wave form rigging also less
Better to go ahead with second option (2.2)

(Inter winding capacitance are important if high voltage application)

re: Flyback Transformer Design (48V in, 12v out, how to layer turns, leakage inductance)

Do you have any additional requirements, like creepage distance? I don't think so, since your primary is relatively low voltage. But please check.

Status
Not open for further replies.