Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OP-Amp Power Supply Current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manu_work

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
Please reply as soon as possible. Thanking in advance.

I am using a dual supply power amplifier op-amp of +/- 5V to drive a laser at 1.2A. I wanna calculate the power supply current. For that I have added the quiescent current and the load current of 1.2A. Is this the correct way?

I am using two different regulators one of +5V and another one of -5V. How much current will be drawn from each regulator?

I guess the laser current will either run from V+ to GND or V- to GND, depending on your circuit. Means that only one power supply must be designed for high current.

Take care that the driver circuit doesn't apply reverse voltage > 2V to the laser diode.

I am using two different regulators one of +5V and another one of -5V. How much current will be drawn from each regulator?

Hi,

If you mean linear voltage regulators, hopefully the datasheet will state in the electrical characteristics how much ground pin current is drawn at different loads, and there should also be a graph showing the same information, from which you can calculate or approximate the expected value for a load of 1.2A. As previously mentioned, if the laser only draws current in one direction, then that regulator will have the highest ground pin current. Based on what the op amp will do, you can calculate what both regulators will use in current.

I might be wrong, but I think for a total current budget for a power supply, if there are a lot of other components, like resistors, they all consume (a very small amount of) power that you could add, but I doubt that makes much difference to a circuit drawing 1.2A so would be a waste of your time as presumably the power supply is quite powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.