Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to build linux based pic embedded program

Status
Not open for further replies.

RETGT

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to build linux based pic embedded

Hello,
How to make linux based embedded program in PIC microcontroller.

Re: How to build linux based pic embedded

You need to look up SDCC which is responsible for the code. Because the hardware is different, the open source compiler is not available for the PIC devices.

Reactions: RETGT

RETGT

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

In a brief, Linux doesn't run on smaller processor models than 32 bit.

RETGT

ok, which processor does linux run i have seen video in youtube.

... Linux doesn't run on smaller processor models than 32 bit.

True, but the target compiled program is designed to run on PIC (only selected models) but of course it will not run on linux. The SDCC compiler (http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/) is having several interesting features and is under continuous active development. The compilation will be done on linux but the final executable is for a target device (like PIC) that are popular with many.

RETGT

ok, i have listen 32bits processor run in linux.

- - - Updated - - -

what to learn in link?

True, but the target compiled program is designed to run on PIC (only selected models) but of course it will not run on linux. The SDCC compiler (http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/) is having several interesting features and is under continuous active development. The compilation will be done on linux but the final executable is for a target device (like PIC) that are popular with many.

I realize that the original question is equivocal. I read "make Linux based program in PIC microcontroller" as running Linux on a PIC rather than running a PIC cross-compiler under Linux.

so, linux will not work in pic then which will suit it?

so, linux will not work in pic then which will suit it?

PIC is too small to host a full fledged OS. However, linux do run on several embedded systems. Most common is the Android OS used in many mobile phones but there are many others. But then I do not know whether there are any OS that runs on many PIC platform.

Perhaps you can take a look at the following article: https://www.embedded.com/electronics-blogs/open-mike/4420567/Learning-Linux-for-embedded-systems but there are many others of similar nature.

Last edited:

how to start linux embedded?

Choose a suitable hardware platform, e.g. an ARM development board. Preferably with a ready-to-use Linux BSP (board support package). Beaglebone is a popular candidate https://beagleboard.org/bone
Rasperry Pie another one https://www.raspberrypi.org/

As pointed out by other forum members,
I am unsure whether PIC can handle heavy OS such as Linux
Go for ARM cortex A based SoC's
Few of which are :
1.TI Jacinto
2.NXP i.MX series
3.Atmel SMART SAM V
4.MIPS 32 Bit/64 Bit

Above listed SoC's can handle LINUX as well as other OS's

If I understood properly... You can not run Linux on Pic. (even newer pic32MZ). because pic does not have MMU. linux needs lots of ram and pic doesn't have much.
although.

also what do you mean by linux based programs.
why do you need linux on such micro controllers. are you just learning or finding alternate solutions to heavy processors?
also if you need OS like multitasking you can go for FREERTOS which is proted for pic and fully supports preemptive multitasking.

i want to learn learn linux based circuit control that why.

why do you need linux on such micro controllers. are you just learning or finding alternate solutions to heavy processors?

To ec_nisarg and other members, don't take the OP's/RETGT's Qs too seriously. I see from him a new post almost everyday on a different topic on the various sub-forums.
I assume, he
1> Either justs asks Qs for the sake of asking or elevating his membership status, or
2> Runs some kind of consultancy which does business by handling engineering undergraduate student projects (will extract info from here and sell it to students at some price; yes it happens in some countries).

Moderators please take notice.

Hmm,Perhaps you are right
The way this question is framed by him ,gave me that kind of impression

To ec_nisarg and other members, don't take the OP's/RETGT's Qs too seriously. I see from him a new post almost everyday on a different topic on the various sub-forums.
I assume, he
1> Either justs asks Qs for the sake of asking or elevating his membership status, or
2> Runs some kind of consultancy which does business by handling engineering undergraduate student projects (will extract info from here and sell it to students at some price; yes it happens in some countries).

Moderators please take notice.
Ritesh has been doing this for many years on many forums. He has been banned multiple times on all forums, including this one, but you guys seem to keep welcoming him back under each new username.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

The way this question is framed by him ,gave me that kind of impression

And he does not take any of the questions and answers to their logical conclusions...

I do not know the exact motivation but he is not here to increase the general knowledge (I am sure of that)!

Interesting example, however the fact that Linux needs an ARM emulator to run "somehow" on a 8-Bit target actually confirms my comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back