Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boot time of Embedded Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudhanwaaa

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello friends,
I want know how to measure boot time of an embedded system,more specifically estimating boot time.I find material on web that mainly focuses on various techniques to optimize boot time but I want to theretically estimate this time.For eg. 20 ms for loading bootloader ,300 ms for loading kernel likewise.I know it depends on varios factors such as hardware(architecture),peripherals,bootloader and OS.But,Can any expert over here give me right pointers to gather information in aforesaid topic.Mostly I am doing this for optimizing boot time of systems used in automotive infotainment systems.Thank you in advance.

count the no of cycles for the routine and based on clock frequency estimate the time.

Can you elaborate ...what do you mean by counting number of cycles for routine?

no of cycles can be computed by using a simulator.
it will show the cycles for the routine of interest.

And ,How should I connect this simulator in an embedded environment?How will I be able to distinguish between different boot up phases? Please shed light on that.One idea that I know is to run scripts which give timestamps but here I am simply estimating not measuring.

the simulator referred is your embedded processor simulator.
for the code in hand , it will give the cycles of execution.

you may have to split up your entire code , probably based on different bootup phases ( as i read from your post) and measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back