Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

very hard question on home automation idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenshuttle

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A home automation microcontroller with speech recognition function so depends on what you say it turns on and off home appliances, lights, TV ..etc...Question: is it possible to modulate the on-off instruction signal on the mains supply wires so that you do not need to install a receiver on each appliance ? I know the answer is yes..the question is: how ?

You can send the signal along the mains supply wires but you still need a receiver on each appliance to pick it up.
Do some research on "X.10" protocol for ideas.

Brian.

Hi,

There are electrical sockets with wireless switching control function.

Klaus

@Klaus: yes I found them on ebay..but they do not give pwm, just on off
@betwix: yes this one works..but as u said, need a rec on each appliance..still worth it bcoz of 2 adavntgs: no need xtra hardwires..and system is immune to wireless range limitations..however the only weakness maybe in case of power breakdown...i mayb wrong to think even if power brk down main cables shud work as a signal carrier just like a normal hardwiring..do u think otherwise ?

Hi,

Why pwm? You didn't mention it before.
You mean dimming?
Give a description of what you need.

Klaus

if power brk down main cables shud work as a signal carrier

I read that the control signals are transmitted close to zero crossings during the AC cycle. (Could there really be sufficient time to fit control signals in that narrow timespace?) Anyway it suggests that transmission is possible when mains is out, however you still need to get power to the transmitting unit and the receiving unit.

I read that the control signals are transmitted close to zero crossings during the AC cycle. (Could there really be sufficient time to fit control signals in that narrow timespace?) Anyway it suggests that transmission is possible when mains is out, however you still need to get power to the transmitting unit and the receiving unit.

fully agreed...using such system should include a backup battery to feed Arduino; or some sort of UPS arrngment same as used in burgler alarm systems bcoz the burglr starts his operation by cutting power off the place to neutralize alarms & IP cams..so without a bckup battery; all shields are down/

Status
Not open for further replies.