Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why Latched-Comparator are not preferred in PWM applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanchg

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everybody,

Why Latched-Comparator is not preferred in PWM block of a Switching Regulator?
In other words, what is the advantage of OPAMP Comparator and Latch Comparator over each other?

Regards,

Re: Why Latched-Comparator are not preferred in PWM applicat

The function of OPAMP amplify error signal that feedback from out.
The function of PWM comparator generate PWM wave.
I cann't understand your Latch Comparator ,does it have Latch Comparator in the Switching Regulator? RS latch is included in the Switching Regulator.

Are u talking of comparator with internal hystersis as latched comparator

Actually, I am using a latched comparator in my switching reg controller now. It has some very good points in its favor like a 30ns response time. But the main disadv I have noticed so far is its resolution/accuracy. It's not its strong point! More info on latched comparator: check following IEEE paper,

"Design techniques for high speed high resolution comparators" by Behzad Razavi and Bruce Wooley in JSSC Vol 27, No 12 Dec 1992.

Hope this helps!
Kart

Are u guys intrested in Razavis PhD thesis as that paper is but a fraction of that thesis

Status
Not open for further replies.