Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What tool do I need for these connectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plecto

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Take a look at the image attached. I've used a simple plier to crimp the wire to the end-piece (or what you call them), but the result is never good. What type of tool do I need to make reliable connections with these kind of connectors? Or perhaps someone could recommend other types of connectors to be used? I'm just looking for a cheap, simple and reliable way to make connectors that can be connected to pcb's, as an alternative to soldering the wires directly to the board. I'm also not sure what the English names for these connectors and tools are:(

ftea2s.jpg

Hi,

please find out which manufacturer and which crimp connector type this is.
At the manufacturer homepage you will find approriate tools.

You want it cheap? Often theese tools are far away from beeing cheap.

But why:
Those tools need to be producece especially for those crimp connectors... with very tight mechanical tolerance.
The steel needs to be hardened not to wear out soon.

A crimp connection is one of the most reliable connection types, but only if it is made correctely.
It needs a huge ammount of pressure so that the connection between wire and crimp contact is like welded. You can not open a correctely made crimp connection.
Both wire and crimp contact are "one" piece of metal. Only if this is the case, then you have optimal crimp quality.

There are many cheap tools on the market.
* many of the have too low force to make the connection like welded.
* some of them have not the correct geometry and the press at a plce of the crimp contakt that hurts mechanical stability and the contact may break easily.
* some of them are not of good quality, not hardened. Maybe the produce good quality at first, but then they soon wear out and the crimp quality decreases. But this is not obvious and you may find out with failures in the field. Not good.

Klaus

I have bought one crimping tool that suits to this connector pin (CPU conector). Also there is provision to crimp Relimate connector too. This tool is of Ashwin make (Model - HT004). See the image. This is not a cheap tool. I had to part with INR2500. But quality of the product is superb.

Attachments

• ht004large.png
    ht004large.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Sorry for not getting back to this thread. I think I'm going to have to buy a proper tool even at high expense. What are these connectors called exaclty? I'm not sure where to look :( I found the Ashwin HT004, but I couldn't find a price for it, do I have to request a price directly from Ashwin? The site that sells me these connectors is just a cheap site in Asia that give no information about what tool I need, I can send them an email though.

The connectors look like replica of major manufacturers (e.g. Molex) types. Contacts may be identical to or different from the original, don't know.

Expect a price of the original hand crimping tool in a 200 - 300 $ range. There are nevertheless cheap (about $20) tools from the Far East that might fit your connector series like the type below

Attachments

• HT-225D.pdf
    120.9 KB · Views: 94

Status
Not open for further replies.