Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial terminal with remote (LAN) commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathmandu

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm looking for a linux app to connect to a serial comm (RS232) device and to be able to send commands over TCP (LAN, web).

That's it, the application must have a built-in web server to gather the remote commands and to translate them to serial port (device).

For now, I'm using a VNC client to access the linux box and to write commands in the terminal (I'm using picocom as serial terminal).

I hope I made myself pretty clear: I need an linux app to connect to the RS232 device and, while it's running in the background, to accept TCP connections from remote clients with commands to be applied (translated) to that device.

Thank you in advance for any clue.

I found an interesting project (ser2net) but it only allows one single TCP connection (it's not sharing the active serial connection to multiple TCP/IP guests).

I can understand that running concurent commands on a single serial connection could be a problem but at least I need something to keep the active serial connection and serve one TCP/IP client at a time.

Last edited:

'ser2net' for one
and will 'ser2nets' satisfy for enhanced multi connections?.

Thank you very much for your suggestion! While I was digging up for ser2net documentation, I came across ser2nets, too.

It seems to do what I was expecting for but I couldn't install it right now. I hope it runs in a terminal window as I need to continuosly monitor the serial device output. On top of it, I would li!e to send remote commands over TCP/IP protocol to that serial device. Do you have any experience with it?

Thank you once again for your time.

I've tried to install/configure ser2nets with no luck (I've got some errors). The project isn't well documented, unfortunately.

Then I tried ser2net (one single TCP/IP client) but I only managed to see the serial device output in a browser. I can't find a way to actually send commands to the remote serial port. And once you close the browser page, if you try to reopen it, it says "already connected" so no further remote data monitoring.

I thing, it wouldn't be better to make it in C++ for example, or even in JAVA - with a resident control panel or not ? You can find application example for both communications performing the required reconnecting when necessary. The task here is to manage a FIFO buffer for getting data from one cable redirecting it to another. Isn't that ?

You're right, I was just preparing to ask for some help on the programming area.
I'm looking forward for your help. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.