Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the application of this chip in computer motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RETGT

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

what is the application of this chip in computer motherboard?
winbond 25q80bvaig

its a serial Flash memory IC with SPI protocol
I dont know where it has been used but I think is is used to store some data that is needed to be kept
when the system is plugged off and no mains

Reactions: RETGT

RETGT

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
64K x 8 bits is far bigger than needed to store configuration data and SPI is far too slow to store working program data, it's more likely to be a second bios in a "dual BIOS" configuration. The actual use depends on the mother board designers plans but I would guess it gets read into RAM when the power is first applied and then executed as the BIOS code.

Brian.

RETGT

When i remove the chip computer does not start and when i place it computer work?
after starting computer i remove it work whyy?

That would confirm what I thought, it's contents are copied into the main system RAM where it can run at full speed and it is then no longer needed until the next time the power it turned on. Removing it with the board powered up is likely to damage it though so be careful. You can't buy a replacement! A blank IC from a store will not work in its place unless you program it with the BIOS code first.

Brian.

ok, that mean it is bios memory??
where to get bios code?

The motherboard manufacturer writes the BIOS code, it is very specific to the individual board type. Even a different revision of motherboard will have it's own code.

BIOS = Basic Input Output System

It is the code that is built into the motherboard to allow the different ICs to be initialized and to let you do things like set the time, which peripherals are enabled and sometimes the system timings. It is the code that for example, lets you use the keyboard and see messages on the screen before the OS has loaded. It sits in the background and does the most basic tasks when the OS has taken charge. Unless you are VERY familiar with the operation of the ICs on the motherboard and have a good understanding of machine code instructions, you should leave it well alone!

Brian.

RETGT

what is the crystal mounted to run the processor it has 938pin

where is my Time chip in my motherboard???

Expect the RTC chip next the 32 kHz watch crystal (small cyclindrical metal can). Looks like the Asus board has the RTC function included in the Nvidia MCP68SE graphics and multi/IO chip, like most recent boards.

Expect the RTC chip next the 32 kHz watch crystal (small cyclindrical metal can). Looks like the Asus board has the RTC function included in the Nvidia MCP68SE graphics and multi/IO chip, like most recent boards.

where is the chip i can see the big cylinder crystal.

what is the golden heat sink?
chipset or anything else?

The green arrow points to the RTC crystal and yes, the RTC circuits are inside the Nvidia chip.

RETGT, you have to understand that almost all the ICs on motherboards are custom designed. Information about them is only shared between the silicon foundry and the board designer and you can not buy them or get their data sheets. When you manufacture in large quantities, it works out cheaper to make your own chips than design around 'stock' ones. Each IC does many functions, the one with the gold heat sink for example, is not only the entire video system but it also holds the memory controller, SATA disk controllers and probably several other interfaces too.

Brian.

RETGT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back