Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Managing received SMS's in a computer connected to a gsm modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdi110

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a project that many sim900 modules are sending sms's to a gsm modem as a center of receiving sms's.
Sim900 modules send sms's as reports of the sensors connected to a microcontroller based circuit.
The SMS's are some texts like "error 1" or "Sensor 1 on " or "Sensor 2 off" etc. I mean that the texts are pre-defined.
Now I am going to have this texts in a PC and manage them like having log of them.
For example to have log of which errors are sent more or based on the sim900 sim card No.( Sender No.) and etc.
Therefore I am going to use a gsm modem as receiver of all sms's and then connect it to a pc.
Now I need to a software to manage sort and log these sms's.
I need someone tell me how can I develope such a software since I am an electronics engineer and I am not a software man.
I need a VB software or somethinglike that?and how?

Last edited:

Speaking as someone who has dealt with some applications in a high-level programming language, though not professionally, I would recommend you consider using Java for this. You can download the SDK for free, and the support is relatively broad, since there are a number of forums dealing specifically with that language.

With respect to the application itself, I believe it is clear that you must create or adopt a communication protocol where the sender ID is part of the information sent. Another point to consider, in order to reduce traffic, is to encode of the message, so that instead of sending the text of the error verbosely, you would be sending only one letter of the alphabet indicative of the error previously tabled.

Speaking as someone who has dealt with some applications in a high-level programming language, though not professionally, I would recommend you consider using Java for this. You can download the SDK for free, and the support is relatively broad, since there are a number of forums dealing specifically with that language.

With respect to the application itself, I believe it is clear that you must create or adopt a communication protocol where the sender ID is part of the information sent. Another point to consider, in order to reduce traffic, is to encode of the message, so that instead of sending the text of the error verbosely, you would be sending only one letter of the alphabet indicative of the error previously tabled.

So many thanks.
Therefore I need to learn java first and then try to develop a GUI and the software for the purpose.
So how can I start that since I am just an embedded system designer not a Profesional?

I told you what to do, maybe not what you would like to hear. Your learning restrictions are somewhat limiting, and if you have no time to spend in that, the only alternative in that case is to hire someone to do it for you. Anyway, in the nowardays if you search well, you will find examples for almost all kind applications, so that in the best case you would find something similar to what you need on which would have to make just little adaptations.

Status
Not open for further replies.