Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NAT Layman Question from NETwork Engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.

arbabar

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HEllo Guys how are you and whats up..
i have a general question about nat

lets say my public ip address from the isp is 116.52.52.1./32 this ip is provide by My ISP lets say my internet is 12Mbps
and My company Manager tell me to configure a network

192.168.0.1/24 with 192.168.0.1/32 My Gateway

i am talking about NAT not PAT

so it is possible that only one ip handle all the traffic generate by 254 users simultaneously

192.168.0.2 says hello open www.youtube.com
192.168.0.3 say hello open www.google.com
192.168.0.4 say hello open www.bbc.com
192.168.0.5 request for www.ccn.com
192.168.0.6 request for www.cisco.com
. .
. .
. . =116.52.52.1
. .
. .
192.168.0.249 request for www.dailymotion.com
192.168.0.250 request for www.fb.com
192.168.0.251 request for www.twitter.com
192.168.0.252 request for www.onlinevideos.com
192.168.0.252 request for www.aa.com
192.168.0.253 request for www.goodbyeobama.com
192.168.0.254 request for www.iLovetrump.com

My question is that how gonna one public ip can handle all the traffic from 254 users simultaneously
one ?

It's irrelevant if the 254 simultaneous connections are started from 1, 10 or 254 different local IPs. Each connection is registered by the router as source IP, target IP, source port and target port combination and address translation is applied to out- and inbound packets.

Connections are maintained simultaneously, but packets can be only transmitted one-by-one, the 12 MBps capacity has to be shared respectively. There will be also a maximum of supported simultaneous connections for a specific router.

i am talking about NAT not PAT
Makes no sense. Internet router need to translate both, IP addresses and ports.

ok cool FVM
thankyou for ur time

is there any limitation ? ?
how much subnets of /24 can we translate to one public ip?

if router translate both address and ports then why we differentiate them separately
as name NAT (just address translation)
PAT(port Translation
the difference is in theory and practile

i Know practically NAT ( address+ Ports) but theoretically they are seperately

One way that NAT affects a packet is it usually either re-writes the source IP address and source TCP/UDP port (called SNAT, applying on private-to-public traffic), or re-writes the destination IP address and destination TCP/UDP port (called DNAT).

As a result, it usually leads to re-caculatation of IP, TCP, and UDP checksum.

Also, when traffic carrying specific applications - e.g. FTP, SIP - traverses NAT, we need to re-write some application layer data (called ALG). This is because these applications (protocols) have network layer information (e.g. IP address, TCP port) in application layer data.

Status
Not open for further replies.