Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is application of LINUX??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RETGT

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
What is application of LINUX??

Well, Newbie, Linux is an operating system similar to Windows but is open source i.e the programming language code of the whole operating system is in public domain. It has numerous variants. It is considered to be a highly stable and robust operating system and thus is used in places you would least expect it.

Remember that the purpose of an OS is to manage software processes i.e how much resource is used by which process and when they are to execute and what happens if a process fails. A system with a computer does not necessarily take input from keyboard & mouse and does not necessarily give output on a video display unit. A simple example is a space shuttle propulsion computer. It takes inputs from sensors and sends output signals to actuators that control the trajectory of the spacecraft. Though this is a bad example since Linux would not be used in this specific case but an OS that is able to deal with systems that have hard realtime deadlines i.e data must be processed within a specific timeframe or else it could result in system failure. Linux is not design for that but it can be used in systems with soft realtime deadlines.

Reactions: RETGT

RETGT

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If you want to run LINUX, there are several free distributions. You install it as an entire OS. The easy and safe way is to start with a blank hard disk. After installing Linux you may also need to install drivers for your particular equipment.

RETGT

I would say the easiest and safe way is to start with a live CD version. Boot from the CD (or DVD) and try it without installing anything. It runs REALLY slow like that compared to a proper install but it does give some idea of what it is capable of and there is no risk of altering anything already on your computer.

I run Ubuntu Linux and find it far faster and more stable than Windows. If I have to use a Windows only application I run it under the 'Crossover' system and it usually runs faster than under real Windows!

Brian.

The only questions that really matter, are
1) What is -your- application?
2) Does -that- run on Linux?

Picking OS first is cart-before-horse.

RETGT

I would say the easiest and safe way is to start with a live CD version. Boot from the CD (or DVD) and try it without installing anything.

Thanks, I was unaware of this option. I installed Linux from a cd onto my laptop ten years ago. I downloaded the Ubuntu installer, then burned it to cd. I didn't install my laptop's drivers, so perhaps that's why I was unable to run Linux applications.

. A system with a computer does not necessarily take input from keyboard & mouse and does not necessarily give output on a video display unit. A simple example is a space shuttle propulsion computer. It takes inputs from sensors and sends output signals to actuators that control the trajectory of the spacecraft.

yes i want to make space research center in my state..
my latest projectss

20161112_193347.jpg

20161112_193333.jpg

20161112_193300.jpg

i am using Linux because my teacher said in class it it is more powerful without any virus
i have downloaded 1.4gb file how to install i have no idea not done before..

A system with a computer does not necessarily take input from keyboard & mouse and does not necessarily give output on a video display unit. A simple example is a space shuttle propulsion computer. It takes inputs from sensors and sends output signals to actuators that control the trajectory of the spacecraft. Though this is a bad example since Linux would not be used in this specific case but an OS that is able to deal with systems that have hard realtime deadlines ...

It is quite possible that Linux could have been used in the specific example (I do not know but it is fully capable).

The android operating system used in many mobile phones is a Linux variant.

I am using Ubuntu on this machine but realtime variants are also used (for many microprocessors for time sensitive jobs).

- - - Updated - - -

... I didn't install my laptop's drivers, so perhaps that's why I was unable to run Linux applications.

Ten years is a very very long time back- you need to install a modern version. The beautiful thing is that linux works on old hardware (not very very old...; it will run on the ten year old laptop without fuss) but all modern software may not run well.

Linux mostly ignores the laptop drivers and uses its own. I am surprised that you could not run Linux applications.

The only questions that really matter, are
1) What is -your- application?
2) Does -that- run on Linux?

hello
i have extra hardisk i want to learn it...

i am using Linux because my teacher said in class it it is more powerful without any virus
i have downloaded 1.4gb file how to install i have no idea not done before..
If you had formulated your question properly in #1, then it is easier for members to answer.

i have extra hardisk i want to learn it...
Again, do you want to learn Linux, or do you want to learn about hard disks (you sentence lacking punctuations makes the sentence difficult to understand)?

Speculating: I have an extra hard disk. I want to install Linux in it. I want to learn about Linux. Is this what you want to ask?

Since you are completely new I think you should follow #5.
Later you can install Linux in you HDD and go ahead.

Speculating: I have an extra hard disk. I want to install Linux in it. I want to learn about Linux. Is this what you want to ask?

yes sir
i want learn linux and hardisk.

There are also liveUSB as well as VMWare (free-cost) versions. CD/DVD are becoming more uncommon, as are desktop pc's. At the same time VM-capable laptops/desktops are becoming more common.

You can now use linux within windows. However, if you are concerned with a windows app spying on keystrokes this will still be an issue.

For daily use, it is better to do a full linux install. This makes it easier to get full performance.

what should i do of file i downloaded ubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-amd64 (1) linux ubuntu

?

This would be my recommendation:

1. go to www.ubuntu.com and download the desktop version. Make sure you use the 32-bit version if you have less than 2Gb RAM. (current version is 16.10)
2. burn the .iso file to a DVD or to a USB stick if you prefer.
3. place it in the target computer and boot from it. Select "try Ubuntu" rather than "install Ubuntu" and accept it will run very slowly while trying it.
4. If you are happy with it and want to install on a second hard disk:

5. with power off - unplug the first hard disk data connector. This will prevent the bootloader being placed on it.
6. reboot with the DVD/USB stick installed and select "install Ubuntu".
7. if it asks if you want to install updates and some licensed software, make sure you have an internet connection then answer 'yes'. This will ensure you are 100% up to date on program versions and it will also install some extra codecs for things like MP3 and video playback. Warning - this might take several minutes extra.
8. Sit back and wait a few minutes.
9. when prompted, give it a machine name, tell it your time zone and preferred keyboard layout.
10. Leave the DVD in the tray until it ejects it then remove the disk/stick.
11. reboot, it should be much faster than before but the first start up is a little slower than normal because some default files have to be created.
12. plug the first hard disk back in again.

You can skip steps 5 and 12 if you feel proficient at configuring a bootloader yourself or you want to make the OS selection without using the BIOS but be aware that if you remove either hard disk you will be unable to boot the machine again without using the Ubuntu or Windows install disks again.

Now you can select which OS to boot from by selecting the disk from your BIOS menu (try F12 key when starting up but it varies by manufacturer). The Windows disk will not be able to see the Linux one but the Linux one will have full access to all the Windows files and folders on the other disk.

On my PC I have one disk with legacy Windows XP and one with Ubuntu. Both disks are identical SSD types. Boot time to fully operational XP desktop (when the disk light stops flashing) is about 50 seconds and shut down is about 40 seconds. Boot time to Linux desktop is 10 seconds and shutdown is 5 seconds.

You will find almost all hardware is supported in Linux these days and the huge number of users and contributors means any new hardware is very quickly catered for.

Brian.

That should be the contents of a single '.iso' file.
Your next step is to burn the image to a DVD.
DO NOT COPY THE FILES TO THE DVD! - that wont work. Use a program to "burn image" rather than copy files. If you dont have one, I recommend "Imgburn" which is free and available from several sources. Try https://downloads.tomsguide.com/ImgBurn,0301-3842.html but be warned, the installer contains adverts (the program itself doesn't) so take care to say 'no' to any add ons it offers.

Brian.

That should be the contents of a single '.iso' file.
Your next step is to burn the image to a DVD.

i have no dvd writer reader i have open it ,
please tell how to do with usb?

Status
Not open for further replies.