Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is application of LINUX??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xorg = the video driver software. It provides the bridge between the operating system and the hardware of your video circuits. As each computer has it's own ICs and video circuits, Xorg is supposed to work out what the ICs are and how to pass graphics information to them. If you post what 'lspci' tells you, we can see what Xorg thinks your video hardware is.

American Megatrends is a BIOS manufacturer. If your computer shows it sometimes but not always, the chances are the battery on your motherboard is almost dead and should be replaced. It is usually a 'coin' battery type CR2032 and in most systems has a life of about 5 years. The battery keeps the clock running when the power is turned off and also keeps some special memory powered up where the motherboard configuration is stored. Some of your problems may be due to the configuration being lost, it's difficult to tell from the other side of the World!

Ubuntu should start very quickly, faster than Windows on all my machines. How long is it taking on your computer and what do you see as it starts up?

Brian.

Reactions: RETGT

RETGT

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
when i open computer some time due to not properly shutdown it show..

Too little information.

But first thing first: you please start a terminal session (contrl +F2) and issue these two commands:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

Hopefully some (or most) of the problems will go away.

To reduce the time for start, you select quick boot from the bios menu. There are more tweaks but those can wait.

RETGT

Ubuntu should start very quickly, faster than Windows on all my machines. How long is it taking on your computer and what do you see as it starts up?

it takes 25sec or more vlack screen with some number like cmd in window 7

The ubuntu is not working showing blank with cursor...
why???
no responding i just used sudo apt upgrade etc

20161128_201517.jpg

no responding i just used sudo apt upgrade etc

I do not understand the .jpg picture you have attached.

Did the two commands sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade complete successfully?

If not, then you need to boot in the recovery mode. When the grub boot screen appears, select the recovery mode command.

Please tell us whether you get a menu with several options.

RETGT

If not, then you need to boot in the recovery mode. When the grub boot screen appears, select the recovery mode command.

OK, I was #18% not fully upgraded...
how boot in recovery mode?

- - - Updated - - -

Please tell us whether you get a menu with several options.

no sir i didn't get any menu..

1. Restart the computer; it will go through the POST and pause briefly at the grub boot menu.

2. If you do not interfere, it will boot in the text mode, with a prompt # or $ (root user or regular user mode).

3. At this time you need to issue the three commands:

apt autoremove
apt update
apt upgrade

They will wok if the internet connection is available.

RETGT

Hello,
It was in bios setting is something to do there?

- - - Updated - - -

Restart the computer

How to restart computer it move only cursor with blank screen?

- - - Updated - - -

I do not understand the .jpg picture you have attached.

This is what it is doing....

How to restart computer it move only cursor with blank screen?..

There is a reset button on the PC (somewhere close to the power-on switch.

RETGT

ok i have done it by re install from pendrive.
what should i learn in linux ubuntu my project?

- - - Updated - - -

what is linux firmware and kernel it is upgrading in terminal window?

About 75% of all computers in the World use Linux or a derivative of it. It is an operating system, you run programs from it. The project is entirely your own to choose.

If you did your re-install as explained earlier, you should now have full sound and vision. If you click on the briefcase symbol in the menu bar, it will open the Ubuntu Software center where you will find hundreds of programs you can download. If you want to write your own programs, Ubuntu already has the 'gcc' compiler built in to it so you can learn programming in C and C++ without needing any other tools.

Brian.

If you did your re-install as explained earlier, you should now have full sound and vision.
sound is not working nevermind.
Ubuntu already has the 'gcc' compiler built in to it so you can learn programming in C and C++ without needing any other tools.

Sir where?

what should i learn in linux ubuntu my project?...

You can learn several things:

1.you can open any source code and see how the code was developed; you will be standing on the shoulders of giants!

2. you can use any code and modify and use for your own project; just see the terms and conditions for the GNU license.

3. there are thousands of experts, at all levels, that are willing to help if you are in a difficult spot in programming.

But first thing first: you need to set your own goals and targets and time frames.

what does this mean?

Screenshot from 2016-12-03 11-55-28.png

- - - Updated - - -

hello,
How this timer work??
while we install it show min:sec left to install?

It means you are trying to make changes to a program that is already running (it is locked).

The top window is a Terminal one and it shows you are trying to upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu. The window behind it is the Ubuntu uppdate settings which are trying to use the same files. Use one or the other but not both.

The Terminal window will do it as per your instruction but because the upgrade from 16.04 to 16.10 is from a "Long term Support" version to a new interim version you will have to change the settings in the window behind the Terminal one, to "any new version of Ubuntu" then allow it to reload the software catalog again. It will then tell you the software you are currently running is up to date but a later version of Ubuntu is available and give you the option to upgrade to it.

The way Ubuntu versions work is like this:

Updates and bug fixes are available daily.
A full new version is released every six months. It includes all previous updates. The number is YY.MM (October 2016 = 2016.10)
Every two years, the version is declared "LTS" (Long Term Support) which means even if you don't upgrade, that version will be supported for (typically) four years.

Brian.

hello,
i am trying to know how this min sec timer is running while we install ..
ds1307 RTC work as calender is there any need of that chip in it?

how to write and compile c code in it?

- - - Updated - - -

Hello,
the raperypia has also same command as ubuntu what does this mean?
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2032184.pdf
page 4

i am trying to know how this min sec timer is running while we install ..
ds1307 RTC work as calender is there any need of that chip in it?
It is an ESTIMATE of remaining time based on the size of the file you are downloading and your internet speed.
I have never seen a PC with a DS1307 RTC, every PC I have seen uses an RTC based on the old Motorola MC146818 although it is integrated into VLSI devices instead of being an IC in it's own package these days. You can program it if you want to, there is a C compiler and an assembler built into Ubuntu but you must be very careful when programming ICs that are used by other processes as you could crash the computer and make it unrecoverable. It is at base port 0x70 and 0x71 with indexed access to it's internal registers.

the raperypia has also same command as ubuntu what does this mean?
The Raspberry Pi also uses Linux as it's operating system so the commands are basically the same. In fact Ubuntu and 'Jessie' (the Pi OS) are both derived from the same version of Linux called 'Debian'.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.