Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is application of LINUX??

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should be able to cancel a subscription yourself under "Important Links/My Subscriptions".

Reactions: dpaul and RETGT

RETGT

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

dpaul

Yes. You must NOT copy this file; this is an image file and you need to use some software to transfer this image to the pen drive. Also ensure that the pen drive is bootable.

In BIOS of your PC, select boot from the pen drive. (it will be under some boot menu). Then you can put the pen drive in the USB slot and restart your PC.

here is the win2diskimager with usb inside file.. ritesh usb img.jpgritesh usb boot bb.jpg

i found this after searching .img file is this file we need to write in usb stick???
NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!

PLEASE read what I have written several times, the file is "ubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-amd64(1).iso" This is the image file.

Windows is telling you lies, the file is not winrar or anything else and you should not use windows to extract any files inside it. Windows is wrong.
Just put the name "ubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-amd64(1).iso" in the box in Win32diskimager and click "Write". That is all you have to do.
The boot the computer using the USB stick. DO NOT START WINDOWS then try to use the programs on the USB stick and do not try to extract them.

Sorry dpaul, you have my sympathy. If RETGT continues to ignore the instructions I will close the thread.

Brian.

Reactions: RETGT

RETGT

here is what i done as you told..newwww.jpg

please dont close threads i am learning from it..

- - - Updated - - -

Just put the name "ubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-amd64(1).iso" in the box in Win32diskimager and click "Write".

done ...seelatest .jpg

I don't understand what's the actual problem. The USB drive directory with only folder "efi" on top looks correct. Now manage to boot it.

If your computer doesn't automatically offer a selection to boot the USB drive, you need to press a button for "Boot menu", "System menu" or similar right after start. At worst case, you need to change the BIOS setup.

RETGT

lat new.jpg

after write operation i got this in usb

You need to put this (the pen drive) in one usb slot and restart the computer.

1. If you computer boots into the good old windows, you need to press F8 or F10 or similar key to select boot device in the computer when you start the machine.

2. You can also enter the bios and select boot from USB drive under boot menu.

3. If your computer grumbles that the device is not bootable, you need to work further.

RETGT

ok,
if i will try boot does my old window and other drive will be safe???

hello,
The file of boot in usb stick is working and showing ubuntu.
i have connected new harddisk of 80GB the usb working fine.
now how to completely make ubuntu operating system??

if i will try boot does my old window and other drive will be safe???

Shut down the computer, remove the pen drive and see if your machine boots into the default window. Usually windows installation is not affected- unless you make some big mistakes. Never select the option "wipe out everything and install ubuntu on the whole disk"

Ubuntu can figure out that windows is already installed on your machine and takes care that the windows files are safe. Sometimes you may face problem if the master boot record is wiped out by mistake (mostly such mistakes are made by the user)

- - - Updated - - -

hello,
The file of boot in usb stick is working and showing ubuntu.
i have connected new harddisk of 80GB the usb working fine.
now how to completely make ubuntu operating system??

You will see one option that says install ubuntu on the hard disk. Select that one.

hello guys,
I have called some one he teach me about boot technology now i can boot ububtu easily
anyway, i wantto connect 2 harddisk together and run window and ubuntu how to do this ?
1. 500gb
2. 80gb

special tahnks to Mr betwixt and all new world of computer...

Unlug the disk containing Windows so only the one to hold Linux is connected.
Boot from the USB stick and install Linux - tell it to use the whole disk - it will install on the disk still connected.
When finished, remove the USB stick and make sure the computer boots straight to Linux when you switch it on. (it should)
Reconnect the other hard disk again.

Now from the BIOS menu when you switch on you can choose which disk and therefore OS you boot up from.

Then (optionally) boot into Linux and open a terminal window, type in: "sudo update-grub". It will tell Linux to search the computer for other operating systems and make a start up menu of it's own. It should find Windows and add it to the menu. That means you don't have to use the BIOS menu in the future, you can pick it from a list.

Brian.

ok,
what should i learn in ubuntu what make it good??

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

The linux is install in 80gb sperate hardisk i have window in another.
when i go to setting in ew min/sec the screen show this and computer hang why??20161124_105347.jpg20161124_104832.jpg

when i go to setting in ew min/sec
I'm not sure what you mean by that, please describe exactly what you are doing when that happens.

Linux is an alternative to Windows, it many ways it is better although if you are used to Windows it can take a while to get used to.
Main advantages:

Windows is very much 'keyboard, mouse and screen ' operated, Linux can do all that but also run without Human interfaces. For example, it is used internally in many TVs, video disk players, mobile phones, set-top boxes, webcams and so on. Even my oscilloscope uses Linux as it's OS.

Windows is huge, Linux core is only a few Mb so it will easily fit in small memory devices.

Windows alone comes with only the most basic applications and is optimized for using programs you have to buy from Microsoft. Linux distributions normally come will all the essentials built in.

Windows only runs on a limited number of processor types, Linux runs on many.

Windows code is a closely guarded secret, Linux is open source so you can easily modify it for your particular purpose and add or remove modules to custoimize it for special uses.

Linux also comes with programming tools, code editors, compilers, linkers and debuggers. For Windows you have to buy them.

Linux uses a different disk storage method, memory organization and user session control that makes it far more secure and relatively immune to viruses.

Costs:
Windows 10 + Office Suite + Anti-virus programs = about US $300 with on going costs to renew the anti-virus programs.
Linux = $0 with no ongoing costs.

It's worth remembering that both Windows and Linux have their origins in Unix in the early 1970s. Microsoft abandoned most of the good points of Unix and made their own version which was single user, single session and had very limited storage ability. Since then they have been releasing new versions of DOS then Windows which all take it closer to the way Unix used to work! Linux took the strengths of Unix and built on them, it has always been multi-user, multi-tasking and user supported. In essence, Linux, through it's Unix roots was around about 20 years before the first recognisable release of Windows!

Brian.

Windows is very much 'keyboard, mouse and screen ' operated, Linux can do all that but also run without Human interfaces. For example, it is used internally in many TVs, video disk players, mobile phones, set-top boxes, webcams and so on. Even my oscilloscope uses Linux as it's OS.
ok, all these electronic device run in linux?
how to make small linux project general input output??

thanks for sharing this information..

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure what you mean by that, please describe exactly what you are doing when that happens.

my sound of youtube is also not working?
which driver to add in it??

- - - Updated - - -

OK, THIS IS MY LINUX
i am talking with you in linux mode in hardisk

where to learn or found it details ??
and sound not working in this..Screenshot from 2016-11-24 16-13-36.png

- - - Updated - - -

Hello i am playing downloaded file it is not sounding,why??ritesh ji.png

From post #17:
7. if it asks if you want to install updates and some licensed software, make sure you have an internet connection then answer 'yes'. This will ensure you are 100% up to date on program versions and it will also install some extra codecs for things like MP3 and video playback. Warning - this might take several minutes extra.

Seems you did not install the extra codecs when asked if you wanted them. MP3 is not open source, it is a licensed codec so it can't be given away with a free OS like Linux. However Linux users have permission to use it if they download it.

Install the MP3 codec (and a few other 'restricted' ones) like this:

1. Open a terminal window (click the top icon on the bar on the left of the screen then press 'T' and click on 'Terminal').
2. In the window type: "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras" then press 'enter'
3. Enter your password.
4. Wait for the files to download. It might ask you to confirm you want to download them, press 'Y' to answer yes.

Then close the terminal window and see if you can then play MP3s.

Brian.

RETGT

sir, can linux work in pic micro controller??

- - - Updated - - -

after installing linux my usb pen drive is not cumming back in 8gb mode why??
i have format it many times.
usb stick.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

ok it is downloading sir

why there is no refresh and task manager in ubuntu??

- - - Updated - - -

i have done all the step of downloading sound is not working?sound.png

when i go to setting in ew min/sec the screen show this and computer hang why??

The Xorg has installed an invalid driver.

check the output of the lspci and tell us the video chipset (the line with VGA compatible ...)

It may perhaps go away if you do sudo apt update; sudo apt upgrade

Video problems are often messy.

RETGT

USB drive: I'm not sure what version of Windows you have but in XP, which I still have a copy of, you click along this path:
Settings/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management.
When you see a list of the disks, click on the one for the USB stick (make sure you get the right disk - this will wipe it clean) and select "Delete Partition" in each of the marked sections. This will leave you with a completely empty and unusable USB stick! Then click on "Create Partition" to make a new one that uses all the disk space. Finally, format it, you can do that without leaving the disk management window. It will then be at full capacity again.

Alternative method using Linux: Open the dash (top icon on the side bar) and type 'disks'. It should show you a small icon of a disk with a pie chart on it. Click on the icon and it will show you all the installed disks and their partitions, select the USB one and click on the gear wheel icon underneath it. From there you can delete the partitions and create a new one for the whole disk. Finally format it to FAT or 'msdos' type and it will all be usable again.

I'm not sure why the sound isn't working but do as c_mitra suggests, open a terminal window and type 'lspci' and let us know what it tells you, it will only be a few lines of text.
ls = list files or devices,
lspci will list PCI devices on your motherboard,
lsusb will list any USB devices connected.

If you type 'lspci > PciDevices.txt' it will put the results in a text file you can copy into Edaboard like a normal message.

Brian.

RETGT

The Xorg has installed an invalid driver.

what is this??

- - - Updated - - -

when i open computer some time due to not properly shutdown it show..
American Megatrends why??

ubuntu taking lot of time to start why??

Status
Not open for further replies.