Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Doing a Word document "table of contents"

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,
Ive seen many youtube tutorials for "table of contents" in word documents , but still short of some bits of knowledge, -anyone know of a good tutorial on this?

The actual table itself doesnt allow me to determine the font and font size of text in the table.....things that are "heading 1" in the document text are ok...but in the table i cant set the font to "heading 1" text there.
Also, it wont allow me to have dots from the "heading 1"'s to the page number in the table of contents.
Also, it doesnt let me head up the "table of contents" with the text "CONTENTS".
Also, it wont let me make some text on the intro page "no format"...ie i dont want it formatted as i dont want it to change with the other formatted text.

The "for dummies" tutorial on youtube was good, but didnt go deep enough.

Also, when you go "references" > "table of contents" > "custom table of contents", there is a dialog box which refers to a "template", do you know where i can find and modify this template?

Last edited by a moderator:

Re: Doing a Word document "table of contents"

Treez, What you are asking is highly dependent on whether or not you've been force to use the ribbon or are lucky enough to still be using the 2003 word interface (or have one of those plugins that restores that).

In the ribbon interface under the Custom Table of Contents drop down menu item the table of contents formatting can be modified, but not as nearly directly as was the case with 2003. As you can see in the following picture that there is a Modify button on the Table of Contents dialog and one in the Style dialog, which will allow you to modify fonts spacing etc. There is also a Tab leader in the ToC dialog that allows modifying to none or ... or a variety of other options. I remember that 2003 was much easier to directly modify the ToC style (or at least it made more sense to me)

Capture.PNG

- - - Updated - - -

Also, when you go "references" > "table of contents" > "custom table of contents", there is a dialog box which refers to a "template", do you know where i can find and modify this template?

not 100% sure, but I think you create a blank document and create the custom table of contents and then write out the document as a template, which is all that templates seem to be a special type of word document. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Save-a-Word-document-as-a-template-1a20aa19-5ca4-4b40-bdf2-57a2168c1e89

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.