Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ARM processors from different manufacturers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmos2016

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,

I have had experience designing with TI's ARM processors, especifically the AM1707 and AM1705 part of the Sitara series.
In general the design experience was very painful, the documentation including application notes were highly fragmented and outdated. And the technical support wasn't very helpful. In summary, very frustrating and I would like to find another alternative for the future.

For my next design (PCB with a Cortex A processor running Linux) I do not want to use TI products, so I would like to hear from you about your design experience with another manufacturers like NXP, Cypress, Analog Devices, etc.

I have never worked with processors from NXP or Freescale (now the same company as I learned recently).

How are other manufacturers in terms of tech support, design reference information (application notes) and software?

If you know of another manufacturer that is worth mentioning please tell me.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Patricio

If you are looking for support, then stay away from nxp. Also their documentation is awful. As for other companies, it depends from the local supplier and the quantity you will buy. I believe it is difficult to have support from any company as an individual. Maybe you should involve your local supplier and ask him for more details.

I would suggest that you also look for user support forums for whichever manufacturer you are considering. My experience (not necessarily with ARM based microcontrollers and microprocessors) is that these are a great source of information. However if there are a lot of unanswered questions or the answers are not really informative, then that can be a guide as to the overall level of knowledge and understanding of that manufacturers ability to provide good information.
Susan

It might be more productive you make a selection of the manufacturer/family backwards in function of your specific application, that is, depending on the available templates, forum communities, Youtube tutorials, etc...for that processor. In my particular case, I'm willing to use a TI Sitara processor precisely because there is a comprehensive SDK for using the GPU resource that I need, which is not available in other processors. In shorts, I think that each target product may guide you toward specific brands. Be tied to a single manufacurer/toolset brings many advantages in terms of reusing libraries, but depending on the application it is better to start form something already available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back