Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vintage IBM thinkpad 380XD , processor upgrade issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Weaser

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was planning on upgrading my old laptop , from a pentium mmx to a pentium II, I have even bought the pentium II processor for it, But this is a weird issue for this Laptop, and i have no idea why IBM would do this, this laptop could come with a pentium mmx or a pentium II , this is where the issue, is IBM had a different BIOS for each processor , There was a different bios for the pentium mmx and than a different bios for the pentium II version, So based on the processor you want, they install a different bios, I have looked at the motherboards of a pentium mmx and pentium II model , they are identical to each other, the only different is what i have said above. If anyone on here has had this laptop model, have you ever tried to update the pentium mmx model to the pentium II model by changing the bios? Should i even attempt to change the bios on this laptop? I really want to update this laptop to the pentium II , So what should i do?

Update not going to work, I found out i would need another voltage regular board, since the pentium MMX and the pentium II processors are a different voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back