Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Encoders or Arduino 360 Degree Arduino for Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

pathrunner

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Ok, so as you may or may not know, I am working on a printer. I am building it myself and have been taking more printers apart than you would believe.

I'm at the point where I need to either find a source and probably buy in bulk for standard LPI digital encoders used or use an Arduino 360 degree rotary encoder.

I would personally love to use the Arduino approach for obvious reasons, but I am having some serious issues trying to find out how many steps per inch I can get out of a single unit.

Anyone happen to know the specs, or a good resource to find them?

I would personally love to use the Arduino approach for obvious reasons, but I am having some serious issues trying to find out how many steps per inch I can get out of a single unit.

Anyone happen to know the specs, or a good resource to find them?

I can't see any reason to use another resolution different from the step-motor pitch, I mean, one step producing one pulse at the Encoder. Not forgetting to mention that you should tie both in such a manner ensuring that one is at the middle phase of the other, in order to avoid an unstable condition, like flickering or suppressing pulses. Another issue is that you should certify that the Arduino board/shield is able to get instantaneous pulses without the need of the core doing that by code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back