Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noise level depends on Stepper Motor placement from its drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murugesh_89

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Stepper Motro - Placement.jpg

In the image shown,

In Route A where the stepper motor is placed about 10 meters from the stepper drive. Where as,

in Route B the stepper drive is placed 10 meters from the control unit..

Out of these two methods which one is much sensitive to noise or
which method is good to do?

I need to keep the distance between the control unit and stepper motor to be 10 meter..

These are high current low impedance paths and I do not see any reason why they should be susceptible to noise.

You need to worry about noise when there are low voltage, low current and high impedance circuits are involved.

However, the driver to motor distance should be short because high current pulses are involved and voltage drops are undesirable.

Hi,

I agree.

In detail it depends on a lot of parameters.

If you have high dV/dt at the motor signals it may produce a lot of EMI. Especially with 10m of not suitable cables.
If you run the motor lines for 10m then I recommend to use a simple filter on the driver side (to decrease dV/dt) and use twisted pair cables.

But i tend to prefer short cables to the motor. But then the control lines are the problem. If there is EMI from other devices it may affect signal reliability.
Therefore I´d use differential signaling like RS485 and a CAT6 cable.
Depending on noise in environment: ESD protection, surge protection, galvanic isolation.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.