Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does IP tracking really works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReubenMijares

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to track the location of the person by looking at the IP address from his email. So I test the IP tracking method I read from Google and I test it to my friend's email to see if it really points to the correct location. However it turns out that the IP tracking is not really working. It always point to United States, rather than to Philippines where my friend actually is.

Here's the link where I based on how to do the IP tracking:
http://aruljohn.com/info/howtofindipaddress/

Then here's the link where I put the IP address to see the location:
http://aruljohn.com/track.pl

These are some infos about the email. I'm not sure if these are the things needed to track the IP:
Received-SPF: pass (domain of yahoo.com designates 98.139.212.154 as permitted sender)
X-Originating-IP: [98.139.212.154]
Received: from 127.0.0.1 (EHLO nm3-vm0.bullet.mail.bf1.yahoo.com) (98.139.212.154)
Received: from [98.139.215.141] by nm3.bullet.mail.bf1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 13 Jan 2016 14:19:10 -0000
Received: from [98.139.212.221] by tm12.bullet.mail.bf1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 13 Jan 2016 14:19:10 -0000
Received: from [127.0.0.1] by omp1030.mail.bf1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 13 Jan 2016 14:19:10 -0000

Do you guys use this? If so, are you experiencing the same issue?... Or is it that this IP tracking is fake???

If you are not aware the spoofing of IP address , please see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address_spoofing

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I'm not aware of this IP address spoofing.. That looks cool! :) It masks the IP address of the sender so that they cannot be traced.
But I'm just curious. If the source IP address is altered, how is it possible for the recipient to reply back to the sender, and the message can still reach to the source?..
I have a guess. Is it because email companies like Yahoo still knows the correct IP address of the source? I mean, if someone sends email, then Yahoo is the one who spoofs the IP address of the sender, and then this spoofed IP address will be the one being sent to the recipient.. That means, if the recipient replies, and Yahoo knows the correct source IP address, then Yahoo will revert this spoofed IP address back to the correct IP address and that's how the reply message can still be sent to the sender.. Is this correct?

But I'm just curious. If the source IP address is altered, how is it possible for the recipient to reply back to the sender, and the message can still reach to the source?..

recepients reply back to sender based on mail.id and not IP address.

recepients reply back to sender based on mail.id and not IP address.

But mail.id is for humans to make it easy for us to address the message to someone.. Machines do not understand this. They can only understand digits (or binary to be more specific). Routers use these digits to find their way to their destination without getting lost on so many paths on the internet.

Anyway, I think I'm getting your point. Since Yahoo have their servers, then senders and recipients all access datas from these servers. There are no direct path from sender to recipient or vice-versa.
It is always sender <-> Yahoo server <-> recipient... So this explains why the IP address of the sender is not anymore seen on his email when viewed by the recipient. Yahoo might have purposely remove the source IP address from the email's header for the safety of the sender.

So if one really wants to know the source IP address, then he can ask it from Yahoo. But I don't think Yahoo will give it to them unless they are police or some sort of FBI, I guess. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back