Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL - Register from Procedure ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinbow

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

Is it ok to have a Register made out of a Procedure (sub program) in VHDL?? Is it synthesizable??

EXAMPLE:
Code:
[syntax=vhdl]
procedure REG
        (signal	clk			: in	std_logic;
	signal        d			: in	std_logic;
	signal        q			: out	std_logic)
is begin
	if rising_edge(clk) then
		q <= d;
	end if;
end procedure;
[/syntax]

Can this be called directly inside the Architecture or does it have to be called inside a Process??
Will both cases be synthesized as an actual Register technology?? And can this be used universally for all vendors/tools??

I'm a bit confused since usually when a register is declared inside a Process(clk), a sensitivity list is used to execute the process whenever clk changes.
But if it is called under the Architecture without a Process, there won't be a sensitivity list.
Although in this code, it doesn't matter since it will only be executed under the rising_edge(clk).
Just want to get your thoughts, please advise.

Thanks,
ALbert

It's legal VHDL inferring a register and can be called in concurrent code, without a process.

Similar constructs can be often found in test benches, but I don't see a reason to use it in VHDL for synthesis.

This will work, but you will have to call it from a process to actually work. While it can be called from a function, functions cannot have any notions of time inside them (eg using wait statements) and execute in a single delta cycle, so this process would always return without assigning d to q. The only way you procedure would actually work would be in this code:

Code VHDL - [expand]
process(clk)
begin
  REG(clk, d, q);
end process;

As for synthesis, I would say that all should support it - but dont be surprised if older tools choke on it. There are no rules governing what can and cannot be synthesised - its down to the vendors.

As for synthesis, Altera Quartus does infer a register, without a process.

As for synthesis, Altera Quartus does infer a register, without a process.

Actually that does make sense - I had forgotten that single line statements infer a process.

I can see where it could be used. I think the main benefit is that procedures can be impure. Thus, you could have a default clock/reset without needing a port map. This is a minor point though.

In general, I feel procedures can be very useful for inferring logic.

I can see where it could be used. I think the main benefit is that procedures can be impure. Thus, you could have a default clock/reset without needing a port map. This is a minor point though.

In general, I feel procedures can be very useful for inferring logic
I feel that we better shouldn't use it to synthesize synchronous logic. And I don't see a specific advantage over the recommended templates for register interference. These impure procedures are really convenient in test benches. I have e.g. write_bus() and read_bus() procedures that mimic an external processor driving a memory mapped interface to setup various parameters of a design.

Before verifying correct register synthesis in Quartus, I was not so sure that it would work with the tool, and I'm still not sure with other tools, I agree with TrickyDicky in this point.

As for synthesis, I would say that all should support it - but dont be surprised if older tools choke on it. There are no rules governing what can and cannot be synthesised - its down to the vendors.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the comments and information.

FYI.
Both devices/tools, listed below, did properly infer that Procedure as a Register without a Process (called directly under Architecture).
Microsemi (Actel) - ProAsic3 using Libero
Xilinx - Kintex using Vivado

Thanks,
ALbert

Status
Not open for further replies.