Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Enclosure for electrnics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzy

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I dont have much things available where I am from so when I manage to build electronic circuits its always next to impossible to get an enclosure to for my project and when I search online its always so complex to get a simple enclosure (for me that is), if complexity isn't an issue then I would argue the pricing that I have found.

Is it possible to get cheap enclosures made for electronic items, couuld someone tell me an affordable and good site to try?

I have built things in plastic boxes that originally contained all kinds of different things.

I have used old computer cases to house several of my projects.

Recently I welded up a steel angle frame and used the cut down cover off an old microwave oven I found at the tip.

It does not have to be expensive, just use your imagination.

You should leave your characteristic signature - made by me - on the outside for the rest of the world to see. The inside should be top notch in quality.

Reactions: Enzy

Enzy

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thinking a bit more about this, just about every project I have built over the last few years has been put into metalwork that someone else has thrown away as rubbish. Only cost is maybe a spay can of paint.

There is a big dc power supply that I built into a very heavy steel rectangular box that originally had a burned out stick welder inside. The nice stainless steel crash handles are kitchen cupboard handles that only cost a few dollars.
Supply.jpg

And a high power battery desulphator I built into a bent and rusty old battery charger that was sitting on the side of the road. I even re used the original transformer, resprayed the transformer with black paint.
I hammered out all the many dents and removed the rust with sandpaper, and resprayed the box the original colour.

All these projects have come out looking pretty reasonable, though still all very obviously home made.

Agree with the previous poster, the insides should be as good as you can make it.
But the outside case can be recycled rubbish repainted and made to look nice.

Enzy

Hi,

Maybe you should rethink your engineering: if you spend five minutes before you produce your PCB, then you safe a lot of time later.

I have some cases in stock. And I have the PCB dimensions in my PCB layout software libraries as packages.
It's only the first time when I use a new case to draw a package for the library instead of drawing lines directely in the PCB editor.
Then every mounting hole is at it's place...and the PCB fits perfectely in a case.

The simplest is to use standard PCB sizes. Euro 160 x 100mm, or 100 × 100mm, or others..

Klaus

Enzy

Pill box, vitamin box

Hot food take-out tray

Desk organizer tray

Recipe box, 3x5 card box, sewing kit box

Fishing tackle box, hardware fastener box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search