Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wrong BIOS installed in my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

hussain1.bangalore

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I have installed wrong BIOS installed in my laptop, I tried to get all the BIOS files from Manufacturer website,

since my laptop is not even trying to switch on :bang: & I am not sure how to go ahead loading correct BIOS.

my question is :

1) what ways i have to load correct bios since my laptop is not even switching on ? i see SPI chip on motherboard of my laptop & BIOS chip

Can you enter BIOS setup?
Is HDD toast? I.e. N.G. (click of death?, bad servo)
DOES F11 or F? bring advanced recovery mode? repair or reinstall Windows?
Not likely a BIOS problem.

Anything on display? Did it get wet.?

Hello,
No, I cant enter in BIOS setup neither F11, F8 etc nothing seems to be responding, apart from few led's on motherboard.

there was wrong bios loaded,

So you wrote an incompatible bios into your laptop?

Well unless you have the information on the laptop for the details about what bios flash device they use and how to in circuit program it, then it's pretty much a big rectangular brick until you either learn this information about your laptop or have it worked on by a shop that can get/or_has that information.

You can find the BIOS upgrade file from the motherboard manufacturer website. Download and run that program. In some situations you will have to use a boot disk or USB to run this

If the OP already bricked their laptop by writing a bios that is not compatible with their laptop (so the laptop can't be powered up at all) having the correct upgrade won't do anything for them as the boot order on a PC is based on the boot code in the bios, which won't allow the laptop to boot. You can't boot a laptop with USB or via a boot disk (disregarding the fact that a large majority of new laptops don't even have a CD/DVD/BluRay disk drive) unless there is a valid bios.

This is why all bios installation instructions come with something like...
Do not reboot, power off, or unplug the laptop during installation....Only install on a laptop with a fully charged battery...etc.

As far as I know, unlkess there is a protected boot block in the BIOS EEPROM, the only solution is to remove the IC and re-program it externally. I'm suprised there isn't a boot block you can activate, it would at least allow you to reprogram the BIOS even if it did nothing else. The trouble is there is no standard way to activate it. I would try switching on then repeatedly pressing one of the 'F' keys to see if it pops up a recovery message. You may have to try all the keys but make sure you switch off and then on between each key you try. If that doesn't work, try other keys, such as Esc, DEL, Home, insert and the cursor keys.

Brian.

As far as I know, unlkess there is a protected boot block in the BIOS EEPROM,
Have you ever seen a laptop with one of those? I certainly haven't.

I think most of them have one. It contains the bootloader to allow new BIOS code to be installed. During the update, the normal BIOS can't be used so disk/usb functions don't work. The normal process of updating starts by erasing the old code so there must be some protected areas that are not erased for it to resume afterwards. As far as I'm aware, updates do not create a temporary BIOS in RAM. (like initramfs in Linux)

I suppose it is possible that the wrong BIOS code is expecting a different type of EEPROM and the boot block area gets erased or overwritten by mistake.

Even in laptops, it is common for the EEPROM to be in a socket so it should be possible to remove it and re-program it externally. The challenge would be to discover if the image needs decompressing and the address it loads into.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.