Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Specs, parts for maze runner robot (school project)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pasidu

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I would like to build a robot like in the following video. Please advice first to buy motors

Motor Voltage
Motor RPM
Motor Diver

I am expecting use ARDUINO MEGA board

Thanks in advance

- - - Updated - - -

Dear All I found following motor link in the search of internet please advice

Please advice is this correct motor for grid follower

https://www.pololu.com/product/3056

I had a storebought line follower robot kit. The motors were 3V, powered from two AA cells. Size about 1 inch by 1 inch.

The motors spun very quickly. To reduce the speed, they needed a gear train consisting of 5 small plastic gears.

- - - Updated - - -

Only one motor ran at a time. First one motor, then the other, several times a second.

The motors need to start and stop very quickly. Therefore they should be small.

Reactions: pasidu

pasidu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Motor torque and RPM need to match, the work being done for proper sizing.
Weight, acceleration, speed.

Stall current will be your starting current and this will drop to idle current at full speed if there is no friction, otherwise higher.
Once you choose motor power and time duration, energy required between charging, you can choose battery size which you include in initial weight. then, you choose RPM desired and actual under load with wheel circumference and RPM. Without motor torque vs RPM and Robot mass and friction load, you have to estimate when they are equal as this determines maximum RPM.

After this is selected, with battery energy in Watt-hours , you can now choose voltage of batteries to match best options for motor. Higher voltage allows for lower conduction losses in conductors and drivers.

So make a list of specs and inputs & outputs as much as possible, including processes of speed control, acceleration steering and median differential sensor for tracking , optical or magnetic or RF line.

This is how design works. Top down approach. The result is you can then test vs estimate of performance to see if design meets goals.

It can be a simple result or complex as only you choose the performance by values of the tasks for energy, velocity, weight, acceleration, and time.

pasidu

Dear All,

We have received the guild lines for the competition
Please find the attached for the image
It would be much appreciated if some one can advice on following

Motor RPM
Motor Voltage
Sensor type ( Ultrasonic / Wall / Ir....)
Motor Type ( Stepper Motor or DC Motor)
PlayField.JPG

Please advice what kind of parts should most recommend for above type of competition

All reply and helps are highly welcome

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

This project is more difficult than a line follower robot. Naturally you want to run the maze quickly. Reasonable robot size is 10 inches wide (say half the width of the maze passages). An easy place to learn what sort of equipment could work, is a radio controlled model car, truck, etc.

If you can make your steering able to turn sharply, then you may get by with a single drive motor for two wheels (probably the front wheels), while a single wheel steers (at the rear).

You do not require extreme speed. A 6V or 12V supply is sufficient. Perhaps all motors need to turn off at times. It might help to be able to change motor speed, perhaps reverse direction.

pasidu

Dear BratheRed Thanks for the advice and reply

I sow Youtube maze competition that maze run absolute pass so they could not use steering

what do you think about encoded motors advantage and disadvantage

I suppose to use, the motors in the following link but some are saying that motors isn't good

https://www.google.lk/search?q=arduino+motors&biw=1067&bih=743&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjP-NmJu_3NAhUEKcAKHR85Cy0Q_AUIBigB#imgdii=mv1pfOgo5wz9pM%3A%3Bmv1pfOgo5wz9pM%3A%3BD5PUUbBWLCVGsM%3A&imgrc=mv1pfOgo5wz9pM%3A

Please advice

By encoded I suppose you mean stepper motors? That type of motor might give you the easiest means to measure position. Count pulses to the motor. The logic network needs to remember how far forward or backward you drove. It is easier with stepper motors, but not so easy when you drive with ordinary DC motors.

Locomotion might not be as difficult as the sensors, however. The guidelines seem to indicate that your sensor method needs to detect walls at close range. Also the doorways. This will be a challenge.

pasidu

Status
Not open for further replies.