Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Air Conditioner Indoor Unit Motor (YWM 10/15/L/J) Wiring and Control - please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeow

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I wanted know how to control the fan speed of this fan motor. I have been looking for wiring diagram of this fan motor below:

YORK 1.0&1.5HP IN. FAN MOTOR 18W (YWM10/15L/J)

This is the original spare part used for air-con indoor split unit.
(there is two different motor shown in picture. but i just assume both should have same wiring connection)

There are 2 sets of 6 wires:

1) red+black+white
- I have no problem to connect to my AC power supply and motor capacitor to power up the motor.

2) white+brown+black
- I don't understand the symbol shown as "PG" in the diagram. It shows White=Vout, Brown=Vcc and Black=GND. Does it mean I need to connect DC voltage to vary and control the fan speed? or these wires are meant for other purpose?

hope can get some advice/manual on how to control the fan speed.

I have no problem to connect to my AC power supply.

Is this an adjustable power supply? Does it vary the voltage? If so then you might be able to control fan speed with simple means such as a triac. (I built this type of fan control for a 'squirrel-cage' fan on a wood stove.)

Otherwise you need to vary the frequency. It is a challenge to build such a controller.

Does your air conditioner lack a speed switch (low-med-high)?

Pure speculation, but.........

The 230v input voltage and capacitor connections are given, and are fairly unambiguous, so why not just connect it up and see if it runs.

Vcc is suggestive of +5v supply, which it most likely is.
PG could be a tachometer output to indicate the fan is actually turning.
"PG" is probably something more appropriate in Japanese or Mandarin.

These days with microcontrollers in everything, its not that uncommon to have some self testing and failure shutdown built in.

If the internal air blower fan stops turning, the airconditioner probably (?) shuts down and indicates some kind of error code.

This can be a very big help to the service guys, or diagnosing faults over the telephone. Its not as trivial as it seems.

Is this an adjustable power supply? Does it vary the voltage? If so then you might be able to control fan speed with simple means such as a triac. (I built this type of fan control for a 'squirrel-cage' fan on a wood stove.)

Otherwise you need to vary the frequency. It is a challenge to build such a controller.

Does your air conditioner lack a speed switch (low-med-high)?

Yes i connect it direct to 220 VAC. I can add in triac to vary the speed. I bought this part from local air-con spare part supplier, so i don't know how does the original air-con controller board control this motor. I plan to use this fan motor for other cooling purpose and i have my own controller board ready.

- - - Updated - - -

Pure speculation, but.........

The 230v input voltage and capacitor connections are given, and are fairly unambiguous, so why not just connect it up and see if it runs.

Vcc is suggestive of +5v supply, which it most likely is.
PG could be a tachometer output to indicate the fan is actually turning.
"PG" is probably something more appropriate in Japanese or Mandarin.

These days with microcontrollers in everything, its not that uncommon to have some self testing and failure shutdown built in.

If the internal air blower fan stops turning, the airconditioner probably (?) shuts down and indicates some kind of error code.

This can be a very big help to the service guys, or diagnosing faults over the telephone. Its not as trivial as it seems.

ok noted. probably will get help from service guy. that could be some speed sensing to the controller board

I wanted know how to control the fan speed of this fan motor. I have been looking for wiring diagram of this fan motor below:

YORK 1.0&1.5HP IN. FAN MOTOR 18W (YWM10/15L/J)

This is the original spare part used for air-con indoor split unit.
(there is two different motor shown in picture. but i just assume both should have same wiring connection)

There are 2 sets of 6 wires:

1) red+black+white
- I have no problem to connect to my AC power supply and motor capacitor to power up the motor.

2) white+brown+black
- I don't understand the symbol shown as "PG" in the diagram. It shows White=Vout, Brown=Vcc and Black=GND. Does it mean I need to connect DC voltage to vary and control the fan speed? or these wires are meant for other purpose?

hope can get some advice/manual on how to control the fan speed.

speed of motor change by triac. micro controler receid speed from PG

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

Maybe the "P" of "PG" means PULSE.
Maybe hallsensor or optical.
Just an rpm reedback.

No guarantee for this:
I'd use a 5V power supply and a 100R current limiting resistor.
Connect Vcc and GND. A scope to Vout.
Turn the motor by hand and see what happens.

Klaus

it't actualy. i'd repaired afew times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back