Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Source of distortion in ADCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordak

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a couple of question about distortion and non-linearities in ADCs. I wonder except INL and DNL that cause distortion in ADCS, what can cause a bad THD.

Assume someone wants to model the distortion in an ADC, say third order harmonic. I wonder if the extra term added to the pure signal (cos(ωt)) should be βcos³(ωt) or it should be βcos(3ωt). I just need to add that I know in analog circuits the extra term added due to the distortion would be βcos³(ωt), but I thought in ADCs the fundamental bin should not be affected by distortion, though I am not sure.

Tnx

To minimize distortion, make sure that the internal DAC steps are as close to uniformity as you can get. I had an 8-bit DAC that the step from mid-range - 1 bit to mid-range was off by 4%. The distortion that it caused was terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.