Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help in selecting proper Mosfet CSD18536KTT or IRFS3006

Status
Not open for further replies.

ep.hobbyiest

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am selecting MOSFET for using in motor driver board. I am refering one designed in that they have used IRFS3006 MOSFET which is having Idm(Pulsed Drain Current) as 1172 Amp.
But i have CSD18536KTT Mosfet available with me which is having Idm as 400 Amp only.

Can i use CSD18536KTT (Idm = 400Amp) instead of IRFS3006 (Idm = 1172 Amp)?
Where it will matter or affect?

And what else we should consider while selecting Mosfet?

here is comparison.

mosfet_comparison.PNG

Always good to scroll down a datasheet to the SOA graph. it's figure 10 in the TI datasheet. You may need to describe the voltage the MOSFET will operate at and how, otherwise it's hard to guess.

Thermal information is important too, one can calculate how much the device will heat up at a given ambient temperature during known operating parameters, and what type of heat-sinking (and forced ventilation, perhaps) would be necessary.

Might fail open or short, I don't know these things, sorry, I imagine if it doesn't go up in a puff of smoke it'll short-circuit and perhaps damage components downstream.

I have no idea if you could get away with it, but if the CSD18536KTT is 1/4 the IRFS3006 amperage, it sounds unlikely - just wear safety goggles and have a fire extinguisher to hand if you try.

Voltage range is 10 to 60 Volt, and current may be 60 Amp continues.
i gonna used it for motor application.

So you don't really need to be concerned with peak current, just continuous, and figure 10 of the CSD18536KTT
datasheet and figure 8 of the IRFS3006 datasheet show just how far you can push each device regarding peak pulses and continuous operation at different voltages and currents. If your motor has the same characteristics as the design you are referencing it shouldn't be a problem, and good luck, hope it works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.