Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CA3130 Equivalent with lower supply voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalifed

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

I am using 2 CA3130 on my PCB. The problem is it requires 5V supply voltage. It is not convenient for my circuit where everything else needs <= 3.3V

Do you know of any other op-amp that could replace this CA3130?

The characteristics of the circuit: It is for EEG amplification
- Low input curent (<mA)
- Low input voltage (uV)
- Low frequencies (< 60 Hz)

I want to use that op-amp as an amplifier + filter.

Thank you!

Kali

Hi,

you should mention whether SO-8 or DIP.

If I need to select one I´d go to a distributor and use the interactive selection tool.

Farnell and many other have those internet sites.

Klaus

If your board is really old, it may even be an older package, a round metal can similar to the TO39.

The CA3130 was externally compensated, because at the time it was designed, the typical slew rate for internally compensated opamps was very slow. Only between 0.5 to 2.0 V/us.
Newer opamps have far larger bandwidths, so you can safely clip out that capacitor.

The real question is: do you require the strobe function?

I'm very sorry for the delay, I completely forgot to come back here and had other projects on my mind.

To answer your questions, the package I use is a SOIC. Here is the exact model: https://uk.farnell.com/1018162. Also I don't need a specific package as I can just redo the PCB if needed.
It is actually a new PCB: I am designing it right now. I would like to use a battery as a power supply and it would be more convenient to have <5V as an input.

Concerning the strobe function, the only thing I do is to link the pin 8 (strobe) to the 1 (offset) with a 1nF capacitor because I read that it's better for the stability of the op-amp. (I think it's the external compensation you refer to)

Edit: Here is what I found on Farnell, what do you think?
**broken link removed**
https://fr.farnell.com/linear-technology/lt6200cs8-5-pbf/ic-sm-op-amp-low-noise/dp/1330753

Last edited:

Very unlikely that you want to use a multi 100 MHz bandwidth OP as CA3130 replacement.

Very unlikely that you want to use a multi 100 MHz bandwidth OP as CA3130 replacement.

Thank you for your answer. Could you elaborate a bit? If the bandwidth is higher than for the CA3130 it doesn't matter, right?

I mean: the CA3130 has a 15MHz bandwidth, which is already way above what I need (60Hz)

Unless I am making a mistake somewhere?

A high-bandwidth OP is difficult to handle. It's likely to fall into parasitic oscillations if not properly bypassed. It probably never works stable on a breadboard. It has higher quiescent current than necessary.

There are so many low voltage general purpose OPs with 1 - 10 MHz bandwidth.

A high-bandwidth OP is difficult to handle. It's likely to fall into parasitic oscillations if not properly bypassed. It probably never works stable on a breadboard. It has higher quiescent current than necessary.

There are so many low voltage general purpose OPs with 1 - 10 MHz bandwidth.

Following your advices I found that one:
**broken link removed**

To me more precise, I have an input signal of 2mV amplitude and up to 60Hz. Does it mean that I need at least 2mV * 60Hz = 0.12V/us for the slew rate?

My math tells that the maximum slew rate of a 2 mV 60 Hz sine is about 0.75 V/s. But slew rate is measured for the OP output, so required slew rate depends on which output is generated by the 2 mV signal.

My math tells that the maximum slew rate of a 2 mV 60 Hz sine is about 0.75 V/s. But slew rate is measured for the OP output, so required slew rate depends on which output is generated by the 2 mV signal.

Yes, you are right. I forgot the 2pi factor...

So after some research, I think I found the ideal replacement for my CA3130 : https://uk.farnell.com/1651305

I made a table to compare what I believe to be the most important characteristics.
2016-07-16-08:55:04.png

What do you think? (It is a Dual but I actually need 2 op-amps so it's not a problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.