Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

delay line delay calculation if there is change from nominal value due to PVT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debdut

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have done a circuit using cascaded RC networks (like a Elmore delay model) and at each point it has 1 ps delay. The circuit has, say, 100 RC networks, giving a total delay of 100 ps.
Now, due to process variations and mismatch in the RC values, the delay may change.
So what do I do? Suppose the actual overall delay is 105 ps, then should I consider that each RC network has a delay of 1.05 ps?
I was thinking like breaking the circuit into parts and measuring the delay of each part of the circuit. Like, if I break the circuit into 4 parts, and, say, the delays are 25 ps, 27 ps, 25 ps, 28 ps, Then, should I take the mean average or rms average of these values? If I take rms average, then into how many parts should the circuit broken?
Is the method ok?

The input signal for each delay stage varies.

The last rc stage has slower delay due to the slowest input. So not each stage has an exact delay of 1.05 ps.

You can just see the total delay effect without consideration the sub-delay.

Do you want to generate an exactly 100ps delay? How to you compensate it with PVT variations?

I have to delay a waveform by certain ps. Maximum delay is 100 ps and minimum I am considering 1 ps. Suppose I have to delay the waveform by 40 ps, then I have to know how many stages of the RC network is generating that 40 ps of delay. So someway I need to average out the delay of each stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.